PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
So I have never tried Jack knife plug before even though I had heard good things about it. So a couple of months ago I was at my local B/M and they had a couple so I picked one up. So got busy and only got around to opening it today. Now I realize truth in advertising has to be taken with a grain of salt but this is ridiculous. Picture of the label and picture of the contents. Hopefully I just got a bad tin, but don't think I am going to try to pick up another.
20220512_185927.jpg
20220512_185327.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
C&D plugs are not very dense, as well as their flakes. That said. If you like the blend, then go with it. They have some fantastic stuff. I typically end up rubbing it out to some extent anyway. There are a lot of other companies that have “structural issues” with their flakes. They’re stuck together in a mass and you can only peeling them off in weird strips or they’re very broken flakes when you’re expected actual flakes. G&H Curly Cut Deluxe comes almost as a shag rather than the expected coin cut. That said, fine tobaccos so I just go with it and enjoy.
Jackknife does come in a ready rubbed version of you want to avoid the plug issue altogether.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Definitely bordering on false advertising and I too would be surprised! I haven't had the opportunity to open any jack knife plug tins but would be pretty peeved.

Looks more like burnt ends plug or the buts from a loaf of Wonder bread!

The ultimate question is....how does it taste? As we all know not to judge a smoke by its cover!

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I guess every tin is different. I bought a tin of JKP years ago and the plug was incredibly dense and even difficult to cut at times. Never finished it. Not because of the construction of the plug. The blend just didn't agree with me for one reason or another.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I've not had it, but that is a sad idea of a 'plug'. I don't get it. I guess its volume for them. They have that amazing swing press. You'd think they would leave it in there for a long time to mature. They would stop production through I guess.