GKCPC 2016 - Carver Contest Shape - The Author!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
So the GKCPC dropped the announcement of the 2016 Carver Contest in the wee small hours of the morning.

Given the love for the Prince, I thought we might see the same for the Author. So let's see your favourite Authors!
Kaywoodie 13b Drinkless

Ryan Alden Makes a Mean Author (not my pipe)

Truth be told, I've seen Ryan turn out a fair few Authors and Diplomats over the last year ... That might put our Lonestar friend in a good spot this year...
-- Pat

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
One of absolute favorite shapes! I have a relative, a diplomat was my first Dunhill, but no author yet :(

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'm looking forward to it. Anyone who is a fan of the shape should rejoice. Lots of talented pipemakers who haven't made the shape are going to spend a lot of time developing their own take on the classic.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
SCJ7apk.jpg

7DDJb2a.jpg

windriver

Lurker
May 5, 2011
Kansas City
What a great shape, can not wait to see all the available contest pipes at the Kansas City Pipe Show. The 2016 GKCPC pipe show June 24th-26th 2016 is shaping up to be one of the best shows ever we hope to see you all there..

Carl Staudenmyer

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Plumper, stockier renditions of the author seem to be in ascendency right now, influenced by the popular stocky Savenelli author shape. However, the shape certainly includes somewhat trimmer versions, notably by Peterson, Luciano, and Butz-Choquin, among others. I think carvers might explore this branch of the author family, or at least consider doing so. Classic authors of all kind typically include a nice wide, deep-enough bowl that brings out the best in more complex blends. I like the slightly trimmer shapes for their usually lighter weight, a little easier to handle and clench.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Carvers should realize this contest is one of execution rather than interpretation. It is like the billiard contest of two years ago rather than the last year's cavalier contest.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
... this contest is one of execution rather than interpretation. It is like the billiard contest of two years ago rather than the last year's cavalier contest.
I'm not sure the distinction matters since I've proven equally adept at losing in either circumstance...:)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Carvers should realize this contest is one of execution rather than interpretation. It is like the billiard contest of two years ago rather than the last year's cavalier contest.
This cannot be emphasized enough.
The alternating "strict shape year" / "anything goes (within a theme) year" format came about because in the contest's early years carvers felt they had to do something outrageous to get noticed in a contest setting, regardless of the assigned shape, and so went after loopholes. The result was few---almost no---classics were entered. It was out of balance, in other words.
Not wanting subsequent contests to become lawyer-flavored, word-wrestling matches that resulted in multi-page rules sheets that read like contracts, it was decided to cover the full spectrum of pipe making in the course of TWO contests instead of one. Classic years, and No Design Limits (within a theme) years.
Meaning that yes, indeed, the author is a simple, basic shape, but placing in the winning set of seven will be anything BUT simple. The signal to noise ratio improves exponentially when doing basic, fundamental things, and the judges know it.
The best strategy I've heard for the 2016 contest is since the author is a popular, accessible shape that is easy to sell, make one every month for the next 10 months, playing "King of the Hill" as they're produced. If the latest one beats the current shop champion, list the loser. Rinse & repeat until contest time. You're not doing anything you wouldn't do in the course of a normal production year, your entry will be a cherry pick AND the result of significant shape-specific practice, and contest entry deadline pressure will simply cease to exist.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The best strategy I've heard for the 2016 contest is since the author is a popular, accessible shape that is easy to sell, make one every month for the next 10 months,
...sigh...that was precisely my secret strategy...doomed again....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.