PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
About a year ago I bought a tin of G.L. Pease Jacknife Plug. I got it, cube cut some, packed it in a bowl, and smoked away. It tasted GREAT, from what I can remember! What followed was one of the worst sick feelings I have had in my life. Here is where I think I went wrong. I had never smoked anything cube cut so I packed it like I would have ribbon cut. This made me really puff hard. I also had not eaten much that day. I have also since learned that it has a pretty high nic content. Once I could stand again I jarred up all but a little bit of the rest of the plug and stuck the jar in the back of the cellar and the tin behind the others.
This morning while trying to decide what my smoke was going to be for the day I happened upon that dreadful tin. To my suprise is was still fairly moist so the decision was made to give it another go. It is currently rubbed out getting a little dry time. I'm no expert pipe smoker, but I like to think I am more experienced than I was then. It will be given another chance today, and if the smoke is the same there will probably be a almost whole plug in a sealed mason jar up for trade! Here's to hoping it goes better! Wish me luck!

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
I would ensure that you have some decent food in your stomach and are well hydrated with a beverage nearby. Sitting down and not getting up to quickly may be to your benefit as well. Good luck, hope it works for you.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
rothnh- Thanks for the tip on using a smaller bowl. I'll do that. I remember that it was quite tastey and that it stayed lit for almost a whole movie without too much trouble. I am looking forward to it again, but am going to make sure that I prepare properly this time.
I plan on drinking a couple glasses of water with a good lunch then firing up a bowl while I do some computer work.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a tin of JK that I believe is almost a year old by now. I am going to light up a bowl after dinner tonight to see how it is doing. Thanks for starting this thread, it was a good reminder that I need to make or break this blend for my cellar.
I already have 2 other plugs in the cellar, Wessex Gold Brick( totally different than JK) and Peterson 3Ps which is very similar to JK. I enjoyed the first couple of bowls of JK when I first got it and thought as roth that it needed some time. When I first smoked it the smokey and meaty flavors were a bit intense for me so I am hoping that it has mellowed to a degree. I would never smoke this one on an empty stomach, way too strong for that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had never smoked Jack Knife, but JB Hayes in VA had an open tin on my last visit. I just used my pen knife to cut some slices, which crumbled nicely and filled my Peterson. Wow, what a nice smoke. I didn't find the nicotine to have more kick than any of my other regulars (MM965, etc.) and it burned quite well, nice and slow. I was talking with patrons and so I smoked it quite slowly. It smoldered nicely. I'll have to pick up few tins the next time around.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I have several tins from the original production run slowly mellowing in my cellar.
As others have said, JKP is meaty, tasty and best smoked after a meal. Fresh from the tin was a bit much for me, but a few weeks in a jar helped calm matters down a bit.
I likewise found that a smoking it slowly in a small bowl was best, else my head would spin.
The ready rubbed and the plug part paths soon as the flavours seem to mature differently.
Good on you for coming back to it - JKP will amply reward patience.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I purchased JKP for two reasons. It was Pease so I know there's something different going on, and I've little experience with plugs so a great opportunity from a blender I respect. From the reviews and my own experiences with Pease products they need some time in the cellar. The results are what I really think Greg finds when he goes through all the test batches he ages to find the flavor he's looking for. I let mine age for a year and have been very pleased with yet another fantastic Pease creation.
Craig

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Well yesterday didn't go as planned. After lunch I had to run out and do some stuff for work that turned into more stuff. I did light up in the jeep on the way, but I didnt feel like I was doing it justice by letting all the aroma get blown away and not focusing so I let it go out. I will try to get to it maybe tonight or tomorrow morning. Rothnh, I'm not sure about a review. I dont think my pallet is up to that, but I will give my general thoughts.
Harris-Its funny that you say that you were just thinking about JKP. I have found over the last week that I log on with the intention of starting a topic about a particular subject just to find someone else had the exact same thought or question and already posted it.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I've got a tin aging--it's got a few more months to go. I should have bought two, one to smoke and one to age. Lesson learned.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I revisited my tin of JK and checked the date, it is 8/14/2012. It was in perfect shape humidity wise and did not require any drying. I cube cut it and loaded it in my Butera bent Apple. Right from the get go I got a tingling sensation on my tongue which turned into a burning sensation before the first third of the bowl was done. The flavors were smokey and rich tasting, but I had to look up what the blend was made of as I knew before even reading that it had to have some red Virginia in it. Lo and behold it does contain red Virginia and it is a no go for me. I am surprised that I did not pick up on that the first couple of times I smoked it as this time it was very apparent it had reds. The only thing I can think of is that when I did smoke it before, my mouth was probably pretty tired after a day of smoking and I attributed the burn to mouth fatigue.
It does not burn me as bad as a Rattray or Mclellend red's, probably because it has a good amount of Kentucky, but it is bad enough that I cannot smoke it. It is a shame because the age had really smoothed it out a good deal even though it is only a year old. I can see this blend being awesome with a few more years. Anyone who likes a big bold flavor of Kentucky and red Virginia is going to really enjoy this.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Harris,
If it wasn't for the fact that I've gathered you have a cellar full of very tasty things, I'd feel bad for you and the whole no red virginia thing. Because boy, its tasty.
But, since you have far more tasty tins laying around than I do, I just can't get myself to pity you. :)
Smoke on :)

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
I actually forgot to post after I finished my bowl. A had a similar experience as Harris except it gave me more of a bad taste in the back of my mouth/tounge. I was smoking it while working on some things in the garage and kept accidentally letting smoke get to far back in my mouth which is what was causing the bad taste. When I was paying attention and smoking correctly it wasn't bad but I just kept tasting stale cigar. Does this sound familiar to anyone else or does it just not agree with me?

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
JKP ready rubbed is a good smoke, a tad strong for me on an empty stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.