Give me your opinion on these flaws (see pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm interested in this pipe on feebay, but before bidding, I'm trying to decide whether to worry about a couple flaws in the shank.

Here are a couple different perspectives on the first flaw:

shank flaw 1a.PNG

shank flaw 1b.PNG

I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at here. Why is it so dark? Was this a crack which has been darkened by smoke over time?

Then here is the second flaw:

Shank flaw 2.PNG

This one is pretty obviously a natural void in the briar. Even though it's larger than the other one, I'm less worried about it. I think that if it were going to compromise the integrity of the pipe, it would have done so long ago.
Agree?
I'd probably fill this one with a briar dust / glue mixture.

Many of you might wonder why I'm interested in a pipe with such unsightly flaws, but you wouldn't be interested in why I'm interested in it. I'd just appreciate your take on whether these flaws are probably functional concerns.

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Many of you might wonder why I'm interested in a pipe with such unsightly flaws, but you wouldn't be interested in why I'm interested in it. I'd just appreciate your take on whether these flaws are probably functional concerns.

Inquiring minds want to know.

I would agree with others that there will be functional concerns.

I believe the maker used to work for Barclay-Rex—is that why you're interested?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Thanks, Everyone!

@IronMonkey, Ok, I'm impressed. I zoomed in to avoid those initials, but apparently you'd already been looking at this one. ;-)
Actually, I hadn’t—as a visual person, the background in the cropped photos gave me visual cues to use, along with an obvious search term to do a quick search—it took less than a minute to find, and get a little closer to satisfying my curiosity about your interest in this flawed pipe. I do have a keen interest in Barclay-Rex pipes, especially ones made in house (being a New Yorker, they hold a place close to my heart, and are a short walk from my 9 to 5 gig) and this maker ties into that interest.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Actually, I hadn’t—as a visual person, the background in the cropped photos gave me visual cues to use, along with an obvious search term to do a quick search—it took less than a minute to find, and get a little closer to satisfying my curiosity about your interest in this flawed pipe. I do have a keen interest in Barclay-Rex pipes, especially ones made in house (being a New Yorker, they hold a place close to my heart, and are a short walk from my 9 to 5 gig) and this maker ties into that interest.
Then you know about that maker's background with a certain other marque. There's another of his up right now, in much better shape -- I'll leave it to you if you're interested -- I don't prefer the shape.