PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
My younger son goes to at university rather close to home. We let him stay at dorm so he can experience college life. For some reason, he called yesterday and let us know his friends and he will drop by. My wife went into full cleaning mode and prep some food. Including my son there were 7 kids. I guess young adults since they are 18 years old. 4 girls and 3 boys. They decided to take off early to catch the bus back to school. My wife insisted they stay for dinner and will drive them to school. Gave them Korean food and they are it. Surprised. It seems in some crowd of foodies Korean food is popular. Anyway, as soon as they were done, all girls went to the kitchen and started doing dishes! I was shocked. It's something I didn't expect from girls their age. I mean, in Korea and Japan, girls are taught to help out at kitchen. But I know a lot of Korean girls don't do that. On the other hand, all the Japanese girls I knew will run to the kitchen first thing when visiting any place with anyone older than them. I was told mainland China girls don't do that since cultural revolution. Taiwan might still, but who knows. But 18 year old girls going to one of the most liberal school in this state? No I'm not judging them. I'm just mildly surprised. We used to call this "well brought up from a good family."

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I love to cook and do quite a lot, especially during the winter, and especially at holiday time - grilling season I mostly contribute by grilling. My wife jokes that the rule appears to be when I cook, she does the dishes and when she cooks …. she does the dishes, lol. I’m not saying that’s totally correct, but not saying it’s totally wrong. ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like any demographic, individuals and groups are distinctly themselves and not generational clones. I can be surprised either way, but sometimes the generosity is simple human goodness, not necessarily cultural or familial. Some people see the opportunity to help and do so, unbidden. Others, seeing good manners, have the sense to go along. Some young men are equally ready to help out, not seeing anything as women's work, just helpful work.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Before my wife arrived from her vacation, I was scrubbing all the corners of the house, dust, spider webs, human tissues, and those things when you are alone. She was surprised, and it's incredible, that she didn't detect any smell of tobacco in the living room. I am glad that some girls are running to the kitchen to help, it is sad that we are losing those customs of education and respect in some places.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Where/when/ who with I grew up, the rule was simple you either cooked the food or cleaned up after the food. Always seemed fair to me. Mind you it would quite often end up being both because rule 2 said that you don't show up at anyone's home empty handed.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Don’t those you g women know that they are perpetuating cultural stereotypes and oppressive gender-based role models? Well, they’ll be schooled on it all, soon enough.

I’m happy to report, though, that bs skipped my daughter andher friends. They’re always the first in the kitchen and the last out. I love cooking, as does my wife and as did our parents. The kitchen is where family stories are told, where we laugh, play music and make yummy
stuff. My daughter’s Bat Mitzvah project was on “Food as Cultural Learning”. Basically, the kitchen is where you learn who you and your loved ones are and where you come from. She went and cooked with four or five older women in our family. They kibbitzed, told stories about learning to cook with their parents, and just did a lot of laughing.

My daughter may not be one to conform to outdated, oppressive gender roles, perpetuating the bias inherent in the system, but if you’re looking for her, she’s probably in the kitchen.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My younger son goes to at university rather close to home. We let him stay at dorm so he can experience college life. For some reason, he called yesterday and let us know his friends and he will drop by. My wife went into full cleaning mode and prep some food. Including my son there were 7 kids. I guess young adults since they are 18 years old. 4 girls and 3 boys. They decided to take off early to catch the bus back to school. My wife insisted they stay for dinner and will drive them to school. Gave them Korean food and they are it. Surprised. It seems in some crowd of foodies Korean food is popular. Anyway, as soon as they were done, all girls went to the kitchen and started doing dishes! I was shocked. It's something I didn't expect from girls their age. I mean, in Korea and Japan, girls are taught to help out at kitchen. But I know a lot of Korean girls don't do that. On the other hand, all the Japanese girls I knew will run to the kitchen first thing when visiting any place with anyone older than them. I was told mainland China girls don't do that since cultural revolution. Taiwan might still, but who knows. But 18 year old girls going to one of the most liberal school in this state? No I'm not judging them. I'm just mildly surprised. We used to call this "well brought up from a good family."
I know it's a popular non contact sport for people my age to make fun of the current batch of youngsters. However my experience is that a lot them are more helpful, mature (like relatively speaking), informed (compared to when I was their age, they're still idiots but compared to the idiots I knew when I was their age), and I've found a lot more of them are helpful then my generation was at their age.
They still kinda of suck because people just kind of suck at that age. In my mind they're basically toddlers with hormones (side note cats are toddlers with razor claws), but adjusting for that, I am honestly astonished by the kids I meet. (other note I am generally a misanthrope, so maybe that's a factor and I am giving them credit for not eating human babies and beating the elderly for kicks.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many people, though perhaps not most, will surprise you with their good character. Some "bad" character is actually not knowing other people's situation, so they look rude or slovenly when they are preoccupied with their problems or otherwise on a different track from me. Most people are a mixture of good and bad traits. Their devils and their angels.

In college, our kids will gravitate to others who have been brought up in the same fashion as themselves for a while….

It seems that when they hit their 2nd or 3rd year, they start idolizing their free thinking liberal professors that things change…. I sent 2 of my kids to my Alma mater, Stanford University and I watched firsthand how they morphed from contributors to Society, to liberal minded individuals. One even proclaimed me as an Evil Corporate Monger. I kept writing the tuition checks but I don’t donate to the school anymore. I know this is not an isolated case.

Puffy

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Korea food is very popular especially with the popularity of Korean fusion. I LOVE Korean food and cook it regularly for my family. I’m still looking for a nice ajumma to adopt me or at least let me watch her cook and I will be glad to wash the dishes, lol.

Reactions: bullet08 and JOHN72