PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Not relevant, but I can't resist, Winston Churchill's recipe for a gin martini: First, hold up the gin bottle and show it the Vermouth.

There is some reason that juniper berries are not used for flavoring anything else I know of.
They go well with wild game. I make a venison sausage that has ground juniper berries in it.
And I never understood the vermouth-less “martini.” The whole point of the cocktail is the marriage of the botanicals in the gin with the earthy “herbs and mushrooms” notes of the vermouth. I always felt like if you wanted a neat gin served cold, just ask for it. ?‍♂️

Reactions: ofafeather

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
blade', I think it's just a joke about Churchill's drinking, whether he added the Vermouth or not. My folks were devout gin martini drinkers and as I recall just coated the glass slightly with Vermouth, with usually olives on toothpicks. It didn't improve their otherwise more sunny personalities, but they never missed breakfast, family events, or work, so more power to them. For me, martinis are just sedation, but as they say, know your limits. We had martinis at my dad's graveside and tossed a few drops and the ice into the grave. I had a martini that day. I'm glad to know about the juniper berries in the wild game sausage; it sounds good! Just the right complement.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
blade', I think it's just a joke about Churchill's drinking, whether he added the Vermouth or not. My folks were devout gin martini drinkers and as I recall just coated the glass slightly with Vermouth, with usually olives on toothpicks. It didn't improve their otherwise more sunny personalities, but they never missed breakfast, family events, or work, so more power to them. For me, martinis are just sedation, but as they say, know your limits. We had martinis at my dad's graveside and tossed a few drops and the ice into the grave. I had a martini that day. I'm glad to know about the juniper berries in the wild game sausage; it sounds good! Just the right complement.
Every time I think that you can’t possibly have any more interesting stories, you raise the bar ?
I always enjoy your posts.

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
Yeah, and don't get me started on all of the amazing varieties of gin out there to try.
it's becoming a thing now... like vodka did.
i'm not in to flavored alcohols, and don't put anything in my martini glass but gin...
but i'm not going to lie. some of the stuff they're creating is delicious. Uncle Vals has a good line. Their peppered version is quickly becoming a favorite.
cheers

Reactions: ofafeather

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Not relevant, but I can't resist, Winston Churchill's recipe for a gin martini: First, hold up the gin bottle and show it the Vermouth.

There is some reason that juniper berries are not used for flavoring anything else I know of.

That's a bit like my Mexican friend's recipe for Bloody Marys as mixed on skiing trips...

take an empty 1l (*) water bottle and fill with (plastic bottle used as we carried this with us)

small amount of tomato juice (for colouring more than any other purpose)
one bottle of tabasco
top up with vodka

serve and add more tabasco to taste

(*) if we could only get 1.5l bottle then top up with more vodka.

Our approach to G&T was pretty similar except we just topped up the water bottle with tonic so it was pretty much neat gin. If bypassing the plastic bottle and making gins and tonic in glasses usual rule of thumb was that a standard small tonic bottle was enough for 6 glasses (there were usually 6 of us in the ski party) with the glasses being topped up with gin as needed (we may have had further supplies of gin to hand but one bottle of tonic was usually considered enough for an evening...).

...oddly I very rarely remember much of the latter parts of the evenings from those ski trips!

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
When it comes to Martinis I tend to mix a Vesper (apologies to Country Blacksmith) which is

3 parts Gin (Tanqueray)
1 part Vodka (Russian Standard or Smirnoff)
1/2 part Vermouth (Lillet Blanc)

The only way my wife drinks gin is in a French 75... which i've got to admit is pretty tasty.
Vespers are good as well. But you can save two steps by just shaking gin over ice. :LOL:

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
it's becoming a thing now... like vodka did.
i'm not in to flavored alcohols, and don't put anything in my martini glass but gin...
but i'm not going to lie. some of the stuff they're creating is delicious. Uncle Vals has a good line. Their peppered version is quickly becoming a favorite.
cheers
Hmmm. Interesting. I don’t mind unique bontanicals but want it to still taste like gin.
When it comes to Martinis I tend to mix a Vesper (apologies to Country Blacksmith) which is

3 parts Gin (Tanqueray)
1 part Vodka (Russian Standard or Smirnoff)
1/2 part Vermouth (Lillet Blanc)
Haven’t tried that but may do. Or might just go 4 parts gin and 1/2 vermouth, lol. This evening’s was 4:1.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Hmmm. Interesting. I don’t mind unique bontanicals but want it to still taste like gin.

Haven’t tried that but may do. Or might just go 4 parts gin and 1/2 vermouth, lol. This evening’s was 4:1.
Plus I tend to use a rocks glass. More forgiving for adjusting serving size and less chance of knocking it about.

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui

it's definitely gin.
just hints of peppercorn and bell pepper along with it.
i tried Hendricks' "ORBIUM" version. now that's weird!
it tastes like gin, but has a bitters aftertaste. similar to amaro - if you've ever had that digestivo before.

Status
Not open for further replies.