PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I just finished a 50g tin of Ennerdale. I smoked all 20+ bowls in a MM Diplomat that I dedicated to this purpose. Since I am not opening another tin right now and I wanted to see if I could keep using this pipe, I decided to see how bad the ghosting really is.
I loaded it up with a bowl of Chatham Manor. The first half of the bowl was very interesting. I was really surprised how strong the essence of Ennerdale was. It was actually very pleasant. The flowery sweetness of the Ennerdale was there in all its glory, but the harsh edge was replaced with the smoothness of the CM. It really was as if I was smoking Ennerdale. During the second half of the bowl, the Lakeland faded and the cocoa nutty burley of the CM took over. I actually enjoyed the experience.
I immediately followed it up with a small briar of straight CM to compare the taste. The Lakeland taste had definitely almost disappeared at the end of the first bowl. I will have to try another bowl to see if I burned the Ennerdale out or if it will be there forever.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I have yet to try any Lakeland tobaccos but I do enjoy a friendly ghost in one of my pipes. I like to smoke Frog Morton Cellar for one bowl and then LNF for the next. The ghost from FMC make that one LNF bowl remarkable.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Stan,
I've done the same experiment, except with briar and using Prince Albert as the follow up.
Maybe I just don't have a sufficiently developed palate, but I could only detect a little ghosting during the first half of the follow-up bowl. Therefore, I stopped worrying about ghosting at all.
I'm currently smoking Crooner in a little bitty Ropp. Deertongue supposedly ghosts pretty noticeably, but I'm not worried. I don't use the Ropp that often, and I'm fairly sure that the next time I fill it up I won't even remember that I last filled it with Crooner. If I do detect some deertongue, it will be a pleasant surprise.
I know that some people have a more developed sense of taste than others, but I do think of the old story of The Princess and the Pea when people talk about ghosting just completely destroying any pleasure in a pipe.
(I'm not saying that others aren't that sensitive, just that I'm not!)

Status
Not open for further replies.