PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Here's a tip on how to kill a ghost and get a pipe almost too clean it's scares me worse than actual ghosts
go buy some chlorine dioxide water treatment - place it in a heavy concentration to water ratio in a small cap or container
then take your pipe(s) and that solution and place in a lidded bucket, large ziplock plastic bag, or plastic tote(large tupperware)
cover and leave for like six hours - if all goes well your pipes will smell as putridly sterile as a dentists office
caveat here is I don't know if any of the chemical reactions(possible hydrogen and chlorine reacting with tar,carbon[acetylene] creates any toxic biproducts like vinyl chloride - so be careful - make sure to do a final rinse with everclear or water prior to smoking. This is basically an alternative to buying an ozone generator. you can also submerge the pipes in chlorine dioxide but why ruin your pipes :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm part of the minority who scours out the chamber with a paper towel after every smoke to keep cake to a thin carbon layer. Also I don't smoke Lakeland aromatics. And I have a large rotation so the pipes get well rested. I experience no ghosts as a result, at least none I can taste. Also, I don't need a reamer, and the chambers remain basically their original size. I think about 20% of members here choose to do the chamber scouring.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I don't think I'm going to do this very often though
Its good for Estates when you want to literally fumigate
Lately I hate cleaning pipes due to sensitivity to fumes from even the ethanol alcohol
I have all the windows opened but I may even start cleaning exclusively outside
This chlorine gas really penetrated the pipes -

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’d keep it away from vulcanite stems. Or do a test on a stem you don’t care about. I think I read here that it causes vulcanite to oxidize badly. I’ve never tried it, so it may be hooey, but I thought I’d pass along a warning just in case.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
I've been giving my personal pipes a coffee ground treatment when they get a little funky. All estates get a salt treatment and then if needed the coffee ground treatment. I had one that this did not rid a ghost after this except one that still reeks of vanilla to this day.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Status
Not open for further replies.