PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’d smoked about half of this hunk of compressed pitch two years ago, and then set it aside in a mason jar. The mood struck and I fired some up again tonight.

The aging has had little discernible effect on this tobacco. After a bowl in a Randy Wiley acorn I feel like I’ve smoked about a mile of charcoal grilled asphalt road, but in a good way.

The robust Indian and African Burleys are still there as is the generous helping of nicotine. The first third had a bit of roughness around the edges but it then settled down to a medium full mouthfeel and a heart of darkness. The meaty creosote monotone of unashamed straight-up tobacco flavor continued to the end, intensifying at the last.

Not an every day smoke for me but solid and dependable when I’m in the mood for big dark flavors.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
“The meaty creosote monotone of unashamed straight-up tobacco flavor...”

?

Yup, that sounds about right.

Hmmm, sounds perfect. Excuse me while I try to find my DP.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
This isn't a tobacco I would age on purpose... Not because I don't think it would age well, but I simply smoke too much of the GHC Darks for it to last very long in my home. I bought 8 ounces recently, and at first I was disappointed as it didn't seem to have that floral flavor that I get from Dark Flake/Kendal Dark. My last few bowls have really been exceptional though, so maybe it just needed a couple weeks to rest like mail order cigars often do.

Reactions: shanez
Oct 7, 2016
My own experience is that age doesn’t make a lot of difference with true, hard as a brick, plugs that have been through multiple cycles of hot and cold pressing.

Reactions: danimalia

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The aging has had little discernible effect on this tobacco.
As is true with most tobacco. Some may mellow, some may sweeten, some may lose sharp edges, but there is no night and day change. That's why everything in my cellar is fair game and the only time anything ages is just due to the fact that I haven't gotten around to smoking it yet.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've got a couple boxes of the flake version aging in my cellar right now. I'm not aging it on purpose but rather, like others, it just takes me a while to get around to/through it.

I might pick up some of the plug version next time I see it in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.