PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Had my first bowl of this fine tobacco today. I was expecting a Lakeland powerhouse and was a bit surprised to find that after the charring light the scent faded quickly to the background and left a straightforward, fantastic tasting smoke, mildly dark with a hint of caramel. I’ve read that there is both a scented and unscented version and TBH, I’m not 100% sure which one this is. I purchased 12oz from SPC and it was listed as Bosun Cut Plug. There was plenty of clove effervescing from the bulk tobacco before i jarred it but I didn’t really get any in the smoke.

Either way, this was a fantastic smoke, one that I will add to my cellar but I am wondering if I am missing the scent or smoking the unscented version. Any thoughts?

Oct 7, 2016
I am not sure that I have ever seen the so called scented version of BCP offered in the US. The BCP from this shipment is outstanding, as fresh as any I have ever had. I also got some of the uncirculated version, and it ,too, smells delicious but I haven’t cut into it yet.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I am not sure that I have ever seen the so called scented version of BCP offered in the US. The BCP from this shipment is outstanding, as fresh as any I have ever had. I also got some of the uncirculated version, and it ,too, smells delicious but I haven’t cut into it yet.
This new shit has no flavorings man. My old shit smells straight up like a clove cigarette and flowers. Something is different with the new batch.

I have 1.5 lbs of the old stuff and @logs sent me the new stuff he got and in a blind comparison I wouldn’t ever guess they were the same tobacco from looks or tin note. I haven’t don’t a comparison smoke yet but will be.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
All BCP is scented. There is only one version.

this new stuff smells like dark fired Kentucky, with very little discernible scent besides that.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I just purchased all these Gawith Hoggarth & Co. blends.

8867B998-C4F3-45C2-8FC3-F9BD87242476.jpeg

225FC7DF-125A-467C-A4C3-4551EF2EB0F7.jpeg

I’ve only smoked from it, ‘Bright CR Flake’ and ‘Whisky Twist Rope’. I’m getting ready, as I’m typing this, trying out a bowl of ‘Bob’s Chocolate Flake’.

If a Lakeland Powerhouse is what you’re after, and I’m no expert, maybe those are Kendal Flake and Ennerdale.

I bought this Ennerdale last month, yet to open, this might be the ticket. ?

C02EF2BA-FDA1-4D53-A968-772DFACDF6C8.jpeg

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Bosun Cut Plug is a great blend. I get a light but present amount of the lakeland essence, and some clover overtones, on top of a full, rich, tobacco flavor. It is my favorite Lakeland I've tried yet, although Ennerdale might end up taking that title soon, as I've really enjoyed my first few bowls of the seminal Lakeland flake.

I haven't really looked at my Bosun from the latest drop, having focused my attention to the other new (to me) blends I also bought. Maybe I should compare it to what I picked up year ago to see if my experience matches @BROBS.

Oct 7, 2016
This new shit has no flavorings man.
My 8 ounces of uncircumcised Bosun came by itself in a small priority mail box. I could smell it before I opened the box. I transferred some to the small jars I use for smoking Friday, mylared the rest. I smoked a bowl of BCP Saturday morning. The Rose Geranium is much more noticeable than from other drops, which is as it used to be back in the day when Sheffield Exchange distributed it. The clove spice is there, but in the background. This is a blend that I used to smoke a lot of, but had backed off of in recent years because all I tasted was clove. I checked with Watch City and the date codes for both were in October 2020. That is light speed for Gawith, and the freshness makes a huge difference, at least to my taste.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
interesting to hear such different reviews from same drop depending on the whether the plug is cut or not. I was hoping to grab a box of the plug but will wait till next time.

Hey OP, if you ever find yourself wondering if your are smoking the scented version of a GH blend...then you are probably not. ;)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
@PipeIT Thats a nice looking haul! Ennerdale is a favorite of mine. I’m not necessarily looking for a Lakeland powerhouse but I had different expectations for Bosun Cut Plug. Haven’t tried Kendal Flake yet but have some that just came in so will probably try that one tomorrow.
My 8 ounces of uncircumcised Bosun came by itself in a small priority mail box. I could smell it before I opened the box. I transferred some to the small jars I use for smoking Friday, mylared the rest. I smoked a bowl of BCP Saturday morning. The Rose Geranium is much more noticeable than from other drops, which is as it used to be back in the day when Sheffield Exchange distributed it. The clove spice is there, but in the background. This is a blend that I used to smoke a lot of, but had backed off of in recent years because all I tasted was clove. I checked with Watch City and the date codes for both were in October 2020. That is light speed for Gawith, and the freshness makes a huge difference, at least to my taste.
Yes I re-smelled and I can smell the clove in it but it’s very light compared to the other stuff I’ve got. Smelling it again I wonder if it’s just the dark fired being so fresh that it overpowers the toppings.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Yes I re-smelled and I can smell the clove in it but it’s very light compared to the other stuff I’ve got. Smelling it again I wonder if it’s just the dark fired being so fresh that it overpowers the toppings.
Either way, it’s delicious. Tried Kendal Flake yesterday. Was a great smoke but also less topping than I expected. It was somewhat present in the retrohale and probably room note but not so much in the smoke itself. It could be that these batches use less topping.

Reactions: danimalia and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Either way, it’s delicious. Tried Kendal Flake yesterday. Was a great smoke but also less topping than I expected. It was somewhat present in the retrohale and probably room note but not so much in the smoke itself. It could be that these batches use less topping.
Kendal flake is not very topped if at all I don’t believe, similar to glengarry in that respect.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
This new shit has no flavorings man. My old shit smells straight up like a clove cigarette and flowers.
My good young man! What a delightful 'turn of phrase' you have. Are you 'Jive Talking' mate? If so, mandem from da lakeside sez mandem in da stateside always riding his ass bout the new shit & da old shit. Shit don't mean shit, so long as tis da good shit. Hang loose blood, nothing don't mean nothing any how's!

Status
Not open for further replies.