Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Anyone familiar with this?

Reactions: JOHN72

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Contradictory description… says it has no additional casings or toppings yet it is called aromatic. You know how these ropes are, very lightly sauced usually. My bet is that this is regular brown Irish. I have seen brown twist apple, cherry, whisky, vodka, and cosmic’s favourite coconut - would love to try that one!

GH make so many variations of their blends and are often called different things in different markets. Some years ago the EU (while the UK was still a member) mandated that food stuff descriptions cannot be put on tobacco items, so GH changed their names using abbreviations, like S RM T for Sweet Rum Twist, or MacBaren renaming it Classic for the EU instead of Vanilla.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The coconut is my favourite too. Was gutted to see it not included in the latest drop.

The reason the aromatic (or “A”) twist caught my eye is that the only review says it’s floral. Somewhat generalising I know, but I couldn’t help wondering if it has a classic Kendal sauce, or rose geranium.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Generally I too prefer all of the brown/black ropes above the ‘flavoured’ stuff. Coconut twist being the exception to the rule. I like how the rum emphasises the tobacco sweetness.

Ps. rose geranium works exceedingly well with the dark fired leaf in Revor.

Could "formerly aromatic" be some deviation of the term "unscented," like they use for the Dark Flake? I think unscented merely meant that they didn't just hose it down in the shit like they do the rest. But, "unscented" never meant that it doesn't have any scent or aromatics, or whatever you want to call those perfumey chemicals.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Could "formerly aromatic" be some deviation of the term "unscented," like they use for the Dark Flake? I think unscented merely meant that they didn't just hose it down in the shit like they do the rest. But, "unscented" never meant that it doesn't have any scent or aromatics, or whatever you want to call those perfumey chemicals.
That's a good point. I can still taste the GH house "flavor" in the Black Irish X even over the "beef jerky" flavor.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Glynn Quelch (formerly of GQ Tobacco Shop) used to claim on his YouTube videos that G&H would add any topping to their ropes and twists upon request.

I always wished that option was available to us here in the US and pondered what some of my preferred Lakeland essences would be like with a strong twist tobacco, given that I really like the coconut and maple and liquor topped offerings. Even vanilla or licorice would be welcome additions.

Can you imagine an Ennerdale Sauced Brown Irish??? Rose Geranium Bogie?? Pure smoking pleasure folks!!

Can you imagine an Ennerdale Sauced Brown Irish???
Depending on how that tobacco tastes paired with the sauce. It could be great, could be a disaster. For example, cherry juice in a vodka might make a great drink. Now imagine pouring cherry juice into gin, or a scotch. I'm not a drinker per se, but I can't imagine that would be good.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I think the “formally aromatic” is what karam was talking about when GH was required to remove any food/candy labels from their product names. So brown twist ‘A’ was formally brown twist ‘aromatic’.

surely someone on the forum has smoked the stuff?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I think the “formally aromatic” is what karam was talking about when GH was required to remove any food/candy labels from their product names. So brown twist ‘A’ was formally brown twist ‘aromatic’.

surely someone on the forum has smoked the stuff?
exactly this,
due to european rules, rum flake now Jamaican flake, etc etc

Reactions: Ahi Ka

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
But do you know what the sauce tastes like? Or which flake it might be closest too? I’ve reached out to GH, but appreciate it’s budget time in the mother land
unfortunately it was a few years ago I tried it.
I seem to remember the sauce was similar to the one on dark flake scented but dont hold me to that.
the actual tobacco flavours were different though as brown irish is a straight virginia

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This rope is exceptional. Very Smokey and robust tobacco flavours, but the sweetness of the sauce really works its magic for the middle portion of the bowl. Rose (Turkish delight), maple and at one point strawberry - think the rose’s brand strawberry chocolate. Definitely worth grabbing a sample if possible.

My favourite rope is still the coconut, followed by brown bogie/brown pigtail, but this would definitely be up there. I do prefer it to the standard Irish/ SG brown #4

Reactions: Toast

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Depending on how that tobacco tastes paired with the sauce. It could be great, could be a disaster. For example, cherry juice in a vodka might make a great drink. Now imagine pouring cherry juice into gin, or a scotch. I'm not a drinker per se, but I can't imagine that would be good.
there are a number of drinks that have combos that sound terrible but actually turn out quite well. No one believes me but milk and brandy is actually not anything like it sounds.