PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I've had a long standing issue with being able to smoke the tobacco down to the bottom of the bowl. I just don't seem to be able to get the tobacco dow in the bottom to stay lit, and as a result I'm dumping out unsmoked tobacco from my pipe far too often. I was hoping that some fellow members might have some advice for me.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
do you use a tamper? i use my tamper religiously and i smoke to the bottom every time.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Same thing here, buddy. It really depends on the tobacco though, and it's moisture content.

Though it doesn't really matter, so long as you develop a cake in the bottom half. To do so just smoke half bowls, and then you won't pour out good baccy either. However if you still can't smoke to the bottom of a half bowl, then it's likely a plumbing issue and your draw needs to be engineered better. But otherwise it doesn't matter really. Just make sure your baccy is dry enough(play around with drying times), otherwise what happens is moisture collects in the bottom of the bowl and soaks the tobacco (is the unburnt stuff dry and crisp, or wet?). also moisture can travel up the shank (a condensation of sorts) and cause gurgling. That could also be a pipe issue, though running a cleaner down the stem and shank should solve that easy enough.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tamp, tamp, tamp that tobacco. I had the same problem for a while. Couldn't seem to get the tobacco to smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Basically I remedied it by tamping a little more often. It keeps the embers on the tobacco so it burns better. Just let the weight of the tamper fall over the ashes to push them down and even them out. Gravity is all you need. Now I almost always have the tobacco burning to the bottom of the bowl. Also don't be afraid to do a relight or two at the end. A lot of times I'll think the pipe is done, but after a relight I can puff for another five or ten minutes.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
Same thing here, buddy. It really depends on the tobacco though, and it's moisture content.

Though it doesn't really matter, so long as you develop a cake in the bottom half. To do so just smoke half bowls, and then you won't pour out good baccy either. However if you still can't smoke to the bottom of a half bowl, then it's likely a plumbing issue and your draw needs to be engineered better. But otherwise it doesn't matter really. Just make sure your baccy is dry enough(play around with drying times), otherwise what happens is moisture collects in the bottom of the bowl and soaks the tobacco (is the unburnt stuff dry and crisp, or wet?). also moisture can travel up the shank (a condensation of sorts) and cause gurgling. That could also be a pipe issue, though running a cleaner down the stem and shank should solve that easy enough.

Keep puffing! And welcome to the brotherhood... ask questions as much as you like, the folks here are great. :puffy:

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
forgot to mention that also dumping the ashes can work too, if it's becoming too thick to stay lit. And also you can put a little bit more tobacco on top of the unburnt stuff at the bottom and start back up again usually to the bottom. I used to do that alot because someone here suggested it. It works great when you're starting out.
And like fshu2 and lordofthepiperings said: tamping is a HUGE thing that will help. But be careful because it can also tighten up your bowl if you overtamp thus resulting in an overly hot smoke. Tamp wisely!
Edit: FIxed the double post for you ;) Bubba

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Let the tobacco dry properly (more than you think it needs), pack lightly (more lightly than you think you need to pack), smoke slowly (slower than you think you should) and tamp lightly (you know what I am going to say here). If you feel the tobacco is getting too wet or gurgles use a pipe cleaner. When you get to the bottom of the bowl slightly stir with the pick of your tool, tamp and re-light if needed.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I think that perhaps I've been tamping to hard, and as i smoke the bowl down the tovacco in the bottom of the bowl is tampered to hard and firm. I'm going to try less pressure when tamping tomorrow night.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
When it starts smoking light, give it a tamp. Like the others said, just drop the tamper into the bowl and let gravity do the work. A couple of tamps until you get the draw of smoke that you like and smoke on. A relight toward the bottom is no sin. Happens to the best of us (which I ain't), so don't sweat it.

mitch

Lurker
Aug 5, 2011
Have to agree tamp, tamp tamp ... and then tamp some more .... regular tamping also helps build a nice even cake by tamping regularly. As others mentioned tamp lightly using the same finesse you would use when filling the pipe.
What works nicely for me is I fill a pipe with tobacco and then give it one good light, I then tamp it down and then leave the pipe unattended in my pipe stand for a good 10 minutes while I make a cup of coffee or tea. Then when I return and light the pipe for the second time I get a beautiful clean burn all the way through. The standing lets the tobacco dry and fluff up just a little bit.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
If you have followed all of the above advice, and still find yourself running into problems during the last 1/3 of your bowl, try running the pick on your Czech Tool down the opposite side of your bowl from the draft hole, about 2mm from the wall of the tobacco chamber. This will allow the flame to be drawn through the unburnt leaf on relights, and some of the built up moisture to escape as steam.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
aromatics seem to be the worst with this for me.....Penzance on the other hand is really great and mellow for that last 1/3 of a bowl.....as Kevin says, " Tamp Lightly "

Status
Not open for further replies.