PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Sounds like a good time. Never meet him but have emailed him several times and talked to him once on the phone. He was helping with some questions about one of his pipes. Very pleasant and over the top helpful on the phone. Can't wait to see pics

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I recently discovered that Mark Tinsky lives just a few miles away and he kindly offered to show me around his shop later this week. I am pretty excited about it.

I have considered buying one of his pipes before because they are gorgeous but just never got around to it. Time to remedy that.

In that case, Canyon Ferry should be open by now. Head down to the silos and fish for the trout that seem to run the banks in 5’ - 7’ of water every morning.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I corresponded with Mark a year or so ago. He was a very friendly fellow. He took the time to reminisce with me which I greatly appreciated. You're going to have a swell time.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I haven’t purchased yet, but a Tinsky will be the first handmade pipe I buy. I love his style and his very reasonable prices

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m really looking forward to it! He said to bring a pipe and we’ll have a smoke and visit while he shows the shop.

I want to buy a pipe or two and might talk about commissioning one. His prices are very reasonable for the pipes I’ve seen.

The hardest part will be not wanting one of everything. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mau1

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Barrelproof, the fishing is on! I’ve seen a lot of folks hitting the Mo, the Clark and Blackfoot already. I’ve been stupidly busy and haven’t had the chance yet. ?

This essential worker thing is harshing my relaxation buzz.

Just moved back to Alaska from Townsend about a year ago. Miss the perch and walleye already.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Spent several hours with Mark in his shop, smoking a pipe and visiting while he made me a pipe from scratch.

You’ll never meet a nicer guy and it was a real pleasure seeing him work. What a fantastic way to spend a Friday afternoon.

I had a pipe in mind and he grabbed a block of wood and showed me how he made that shape. As the pipe evolved from a block to a complete pipe (sans finish) I told him I’d like to buy that pipe since I was able to see it happen in real time. He talked to me about what finish he thought would be best for that piece and he’s going to stain and stamp it for me, and I’ll pick it up or he will bring it to me.

Folks, it just doesn’t get much better than that. I am just about as excited as can be. What a day! ?

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I'm pretty sure I see the makings of another pipe being added to the "One Pipe to Rule Them All" thread... I could be mistaken but... ;)
Seriously, that sounds like a great day and great memory.
-Rock

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Since I was already there anyway, and had the opportunity to riffle through all the stunning pipes he had completed ... it would have been silly not to buy one, right?? Another one, I mean, because who wants to leave empty handed. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Actually, it was damn hard to stop at two.20CD060A-4157-4DFE-A6E1-7DD80662B8B3.jpeg

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
Since I was already there anyway, and had the opportunity to riffle through all the stunning pipes he had completed ... it would have been silly not to buy one, right?? Another one, I mean, because who wants to leave empty handed. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Actually, it was damn hard to stop at two.View attachment 28467

Beautiful grain! Beautiful pipe!!