PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Ok, here is the story.

I went for a family trip to my brother in laws. He has three boys that are triplets, my nephews. They are just barely 18 and were out in the hot tub smoking cheap cigars. I think swisher sweets or the like. I was kind of surprised, but I got my MM Cob and some Three Oaks Syrian and joined them in the tub. They were amazed at the pipe. It was one from Waker Briar Works with a silver cap and a forever stem. We sat in the tub talking and I basically gave them a pipe smoking lesson right there. They loved it. I got home and a few days later I got a text from one of them and they wanted pipes just like mine and some tobacco! I asked if it was ok with their dad and he said it would've fine. I ordered in the pipes and stems and am going to send them to them this week. I am going to include tampers and pipe cleaners and links to several websites including this one to help them.
I was thinking of starting them out with a smoother but good aeromatic blend. What do you guys suggest I send them for their first tobacco? I started with 1Q but I am not sure that is the best. I was thinking more like Maple Street or some 4 Noggins Killington. I want them to have a good starting experience and am not sure an English blend would be my first choice.
I am excited to get them into the hobby. Give me some suggestions for new smokers and how to help make their experience a good one.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
sounds fun and at lest your not a scrooge. well teach huie doie and louie the fine art of pipe smoking. Id start out with something light on the tobacco taste if they are interested in swisser sweets or white owls the flavor of tobacco is very light in those types of cigars. i honestly hate to even call those cigars.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'd stick with some simple, low maintenance smokes, such as 1Q, Carter Hall or Scotty's Butternut Burley. I know I really enjoyed blends like those when I first started smoking, and still do at times. They have some good flavor, pack and light easily, and are very forgiving.
You're an awesome Uncle by the way!

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Thanks guys. I have plenty of tobacco to choose from. Pretty extensive cellar. I think I will send them some sample packs. I really wish I had started that way. A few ounces at a time until I found what I liked. I like all of the Frog series and Butternut Burley. I also like Yule Log and Scotty's English Stout.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Hey dcrguns you can be my uncle to.(LOL)just kidding.I think your doing an awesome thing.Pipe smoking has a good history and is wonderful.Those boys will remember this moments that your sharing with them in the pipers realm.Your already making history in your family chain as those boys will definitely tell the story of there wonderful uncle sharing his love and knowledge on tobacco.You will always be the uncle who bought there first pipe.Nothing wrong with lanes 1q.I started with that and i liked it.I know you probably don't want to start them on a high nic blend you might chase them away.I'm sure they will eventually move on to stronger stuff down the road.But i think you know your nephews taste just fine and 4noggins and maple street sound also like a good starter blend.I also enjoyed swr when i first started.Maybe some prince Albert.You are doing a fine job with the boys much respect to you.Keep us posted on there experiences and how there coming along.Also try to introduce them to the pipesmagazine forums in due time.We would love to meet them and hear there experiences.Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.