PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Really? I just rub it out nice, dry it for 30 minutes, load up and go. It’s never given me trouble. In fact, it’s always a great smoke.

One thing I do though is take a small chunk of flake and rub it into powder. Like we’re talking really super fine. Put that on top as kindling.
This is my approach exactly, but cobe cut.

I think a lot of my early issues were mistaking the spiciness for the beginning of tongue bite, slowing down until it went out - & rinse & repeat.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I would be interested to know what companies use more ppg than others. Some brands still stay spongy even after sitting out 24+ hours. Rattrays for example stays moist almost forever unless you put some heat to it. FVF and SJF act similarly.

Reactions: ofafeather

Wuce Brayne

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2021
I love FVF....if I could only find it for sale anywhere though.....should have been stocking up a long time ago. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess..Never Had a problem with the smokes I've had of it. I fully rub it out and let it sit for 15 minutes or so before packing, and honestly I would tend to let it sit in the bowl for a bit before the first light too.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
That's what I've heard, I rub it out and let it sit an hour and that seems to do it...when I have more time on this I'll try fold and stuff.

I like FVF a lot, but I admit I find the uneven flakes irritating enough that I’ve never bought a lot of it. My personal preference is to smoke flake folded and stuffed, so I always feel like I’m reinventing the wheel when trying to deal with flakes that can be twice as thick as others. Add that to the frequent unavailability, and it’s just not worth it to me. That being said, I’ve got a 10 y/o tin in a jar, and it is realllllly good

Reactions: ofafeather

deuceswild818

Might Stick Around
Mar 21, 2021
Charleston, SC
I like FVF a lot, but I admit I find the uneven flakes irritating enough that I’ve never bought a lot of it. My personal preference is to smoke flake folded and stuffed, so I always feel like I’m reinventing the wheel when trying to deal with flakes that can be twice as thick as others. Add that to the frequent unavailability, and it’s just not worth it to me. That being said, I’ve got a 10 y/o tin in a jar, and it is realllllly good
Haha that's my goal, just received 750 grams and I'm jarring it up as we speak.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
So after drying the pieces of broken FVF - not rubbed - for basically a day and a half I loaded and smoked. It smoked very well in fact, with plenty of relights but that's not a problem, and very nice, sweet and full flavour. Honestly I was pleasantly surprised and now want to pop a 1 year old tin of St James Flake I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.