PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
Recently bought an estate pipe on ebay, and it was a bit worse for wear
Anyway, ive reamed back the cake, and done 4 salt and alcohol treatments, but there was still a horrid smell from the pipe. So I put a capful of alcohol into the pipe and set it on fire, this has now got rid of the horrid smell from the bowl.
But, there is still a horrible smell in the shank, ive run alcohol soaked pipe cleaner through it, yet the problem remains.
Any ideas?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
ull have to let the alochol sit in shank, fill shank with salt an alochol, shank prob full of hardened gunk same as bowl was. i dont recommend settin it on fire tho lol. I imagine the stem prob stinks too. plug off shank end and put alochol in it an shake shake shake etc then do an alochol treatment. One guy on here uses boiling water to remove his cakes before alochol treatments.

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
I read somewhere that setting fire to the alcohol killls some of the mould spores that may be in the pipe, and it seemed to work.
Anyway thanks, ill give it a try!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
IMO,most problems relating to bad taste and smells are caused by dirty nasty ass shanks. Pipe cleaners and alcohol will not always get them clean enough. I use several small brushes and even some small scraping tools I've made to clean the crud out of shanks.Then I go at it with q-tips,pipe cleaners and alcohol. Sometimes it may be necessary to fill the bowl and shank with alcohol and let it soak,use the salt for your food.When You're done cleaning let it dry for a day or so. You may still get a bit of a ghost but usually a couple of bowls will dispel them. Burleys seem better for that to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.