PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I have a big interest in pipes from Germany, pre WW1 and WW1, and I dont mean the traditional German hunter pipes.

Recently I stumbled upon this photo of the Prussian/German Crown Prince. He holds a small pipe, that has a metal ring, or (less likely) an army mount. I would be very curious to know what pipe brand he prefered.
Was it maybe even an English one?

Another image I found, is this Vauen Postcard.
Note the billiard pipe with the metal mount. This style seems to have been popular.

I also found this article in German. Its about a pipe from that era that was found on the beach and was used by a sailor on one of the emperors ships.
It was made by C.H. Bock Söhne, once one of the biggest german pipe factories.

If any one has more info/pictures/links about german pipes from that era, I would love to hear.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Judging by the older pipes on offer on ebay Germany (ebay.de) it seems like meerschaum pipes were popular in Germany and cheroot holders were popular around the turn of the last century.

The oldest pipe I have was acquired here in Germany and is an 1899 BBB Own Make. I don't know anything about that pipes history. It is possible it came to Germany later than the manufacture date (from the silver hallmark). It is a small straight billiard.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Usually my searches for German pipes on eBay always turn up the traditional hunting pipes, the ones with the porcelain bowls.

do you have pictures of your collection?
I dont have any old german pipes unfortunately.
Also looked on Ebay and couldn't find anything

Not much info out there, but I am sure normal briar pipes were quiet common in Germany.

Reactions: BROBS

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
There was a user on eBay a while ago that had a bunch of 20s / 30s German briar but I never hit on any of them.

Have you tried ebay.de?
Yes, I did, not much that I could find there. Or I might not look for the right words there

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My oldest friends, one from high school and the other from undergrad, are German by lineage. Both their dads fought in World War II ... with the U.S. The high school friend is retired to Hawaii, and the college friend is moving back to his hometown of St. Louis from Lexington, Ky., where he retried from newspaper copy editing. Sorry, just an aside.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Celius, see if you can get your hands on Otto Pollner " Die Pfeifenmacher zwischen Rennsteig und Rohn "
Heka Verlag ISBN 3 - 928700-40-5
German pipes and factories from around 1900 until the East German state went out.

Reactions: Celius and BROBS

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
As a Dane I do not like you call C H Bock Sohne a German factory, but of course as we lost the 1864 war some of our land became German. We got some back in 1920. My grandfather was born in that town - Løgumkloster - and had to go in the first war for them. But there were always most Danes in the area.
I guess, that Mr Bock made a stop there on his way from Thuringen ( with most pipemakeing ) and found a girl.
After 1920 they lost the market south of the new border.
I have a copy of the old catalog and two CHBS stamped pipes, unsmoked when I got them.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
As a Dane I do not like you call C H Bock Sohne a German factory, but of course as we lost the 1864 war some of our land became German. We got some back in 1920. My grandfather was born in that town - Løgumkloster - and had to go in the first war for them. But there were always most Danes in the area.
I guess, that Mr Bock made a stop there on his way from Thuringen ( with most pipemakeing ) and found a girl.
After 1920 they lost the market south of the new border.
I have a copy of the old catalog and two CHBS stamped pipes, unsmoked when I got them.

Interesting History of the region. I did not know about these wars.

The Second Schleswig War

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I have a big interest in pipes from Germany, pre WW1 and WW1, and I dont mean the traditional German hunter pipes.

I also found this article in German. Its about a pipe from that era that was found on the beach and was used by a sailor on one of the emperors ships.
It was made by C.H. Bock Söhne, once one of the biggest german pipe factories.

If any one has more info/pictures/links about german pipes from that era, I would love to hear.

That pipe looks similar to ones made by Heibe.

Here's a 1940's Sandblasted Billiard with an ebonite stem by Heibe.

1940s1b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.