PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
George passed away last month. He was 96. His daughter and son-in-law are my neighbors and friends. I only knew George a bit, and only over the past few years. He would spend a month or 6 weeks in the summer with his daughter and her husband and we'd go to dinner or have a drink on the porch. George preferred a Manhattan -- I'm not sure I ever saw him drink anything else. Just this past August, George put a new deck on the back of his daugher's house. Pretty impressive. He was a class act.
It seems that George had been, at some point, a pipe smoker. In his last few years he did not smoke and I have no idea how long it had been since he had smoked a pipe. A decade, at least -- probably more? Among his belongings my friend discovered a Czech tool. Being the only pipe smoker they know, they gave it to me.
It's a bit nicer, heavier gauge, than the typical Czech tool one finds most of the time. Maybe they all were like this 40 or 50 years ago? Still, it is just a simple Czech tool, but it is engraved with George's initials. Now, every time I have a pipe, I'm pleased to be using George's Czech tool to tamp my pipe and I think of him. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I could swear that my MM965 tasted a little bit better this evening.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Cool story, thanks for sharing. It is always fun to celebrate the lives of others and having something like that keeps their memory and legacy alive.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Man. That choked me up a bit. Love the connection to the past that comes with this hobby. We pipers are all the richer for it. thanks for posting.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Wil that story stayed with me , that"s the first thing I thought about when I got up, you know our possessions are only things, but the memories behind them are a marvelous thing. I hope you think of George when you tamp that pipe, a fitting tribute.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a good thing to remember, while you are copping with a lose yourself, to distribute some of

mementos of the person who has passed to those who were close to them, even people who were

just long-time acquaintances. It means a tremendous amount to people to have a little something,

and helps them remember the person from time to time. My late wife loved jewelry, and I made

sure I distributed it widely, the better pieces to family and close friends. It really made me feel good

when a burglar dumped the (now much depleted) jewelry box into a duffle and made off with it.

He took some of my bling, but little of hers that was worth a damn. Some consolation.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Great story! It wouldn't surprise me if George had something to do with you enjoying your smoke a little more. I just got into pipe smoking myself because of my Grandfather. I currently live in his house. He passed away in 2002 and many things of his remain in the work shop in the basement. I had been aware of an old pipe rack that had sat on top of a shelf for as long as I can remember. The pipe rack is a wooden silhouette of "The Old Man of the Mountain". There were three old pipes sitting in that rack for at least 35 years. Being a cigar and cigarette smoker, I never really paid them much mind. I recently decided that daily cigar smoking was getting a little too expensive. I was immediately drawn to the Old Man downstairs. With the help of youtube and this forum I returned to service the three pipes. I noticed that the Rhodesian must have been his favorite of the bunch because it had at least a good 1/4" of cake built up in it. Cleaned up and in my daily rotation I think it is becoming my favorite pipe too. Coincidence??? I hope not. Happy smoking

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
96 is a damn good age. I'm sure he's smiling as he watches you tamp...

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
It is special that your neighbor's family gave you that item. Each time you use it you can think of him and wonder about the pipes he might have used it on.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing that personal memory with us. I do believe pipe smokers are a different breed of people.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.