PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What an interesting person Washington was. He was incredibly determined and lucky as a young officer who commanded battles that didn't always turn out well for his side. He won the Revolution by keeping the troops together as a force and waiting for the French to show up. He had an tremendous sense of dignity, self-discipline,, and self-restraint, as when he waved off kingship and limited himself to two terms. It seems he enjoyed being a general considerably more than being a president. He was raised by a single mom because his dad died when he was an infant (maybe before he was born?). Anyway, the cherry tree story ain't true. I think it may be true that if it weren't for this unique individual, the U.S. might have been a lesser nation and not lasted even this long.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
What an interesting person Washington was. He was incredibly determined and lucky as a young officer who commanded battles that didn't always turn out well for his side. He won the Revolution by keeping the troops together as a force and waiting for the French to show up. He had an tremendous sense of dignity, self-discipline,, and self-restraint, as when he waved off kingship and limited himself to two terms. It seems he enjoyed being a general considerably more than being a president. He was raised by a single mom because his dad died when he was an infant (maybe before he was born?). Anyway, the cherry tree story ain't true. I think it may be true that if it weren't for this unique individual, the U.S. might have been a lesser nation and not lasted even this long.
Always amused me that peachin' man Parson Weems figuring lying was a good way to teach kids how honest Washington was. -laugh-

Reactions: bent1 and ashdigger
Status
Not open for further replies.