PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm probably the most backwards person in this concept. While I do find some blends seem to smoke better in a particular pipe and I can see the point of breaking-out Lakelands, I enjoy my pipes as much as my tobaccos.

I like the artistry or classical elegance of a particular pipe and find that admiring the pipe while smoking is part of the experience for me. I wouldn't want to limit that part of the enjoyment.

Sometimes I feel like smoking a particular tobacco and choose a pipe to accompany it and other times I feel like enjoying a particular pipe and pick a blend to go with it. I'm weird that way I guess.

Notwithstanding the above, I do find myself smoking an English or Balkan, a VA or VaPer, an aromatic or (very) mild Lakeland in a rotation for an individual pipe so as to keep it "balanced" for lack of a better term.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I don't dedicate specifically. I dedicate not because of the genre, but because a certain pipe will handle a blend better then another pipe. I have a Lee Van Cleef pipe that smokes MacBaren's Vanilla Flake like they were made for each other. On the other hand it smokes certain straight non-aromatic Virginias the same way, but not all straight Virginias.

Reactions: radrick96

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I dedicate one pipe to try any and every blend in. Just kind of something I do.

I dedicate pipes to these categories:
-Everything (Cigar, Burley, Va, Aros, English, etc)
-Burley(Burley and Kentucky)
-Virginia (straight Virginia’s)
-VaPer(Virginia periques)
-Non-Aromatics (VaBur, VaOr. Etc)
-Aromatics (
-English(Latakia blends)

This gives me 7 pipe blend categories total. Which I have plans to do 3 sets(21 pipes) with a pipe for each of those categories; MM cob, Morgan Bones lightning finish, and LE pipes.

This gives me a set I can travel with(cobs). Not worried about replacing them if broken or lost. A set for regular home use(Bones lightning finish). Lastly a “dress pipe” set(LE pipes). Those will be used for work and dress events.

I’ll be covered in any situation!

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I have Virginia, Burley, and English pipes. Plus a few for lakelands and aromatics. I can see it being useful to commit pipes to lat-heavy blends, lakelands, and aromatics, but for virignias and burleys I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I pretty much use it as an excuse to buy more pipes. "Oh man, I only have an author shape for virginias and burleys, I better get one for englishes STAT"

Reactions: radrick96

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I have Virginia, Burley, and English pipes. Plus a few for lakelands and aromatics. I can see it being useful to commit pipes to lat-heavy blends, lakelands, and aromatics, but for virignias and burleys I don't think it makes much of a difference.

I pretty much use it as an excuse to buy more pipes. "Oh man, I only have an author shape for virginias and burleys, I better get one for englishes STAT"
Shapes is a whole new mess I’m getting into now as a newb. I’m trying to learn what pipe bowl shapes are best for which blends. (Ie. Deep and skinny for straight Virginia’s, etc)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Shapes is a whole new mess I’m getting into now as a newb. I’m trying to learn what pipe bowl shapes are best for which blends. (Ie. Deep and skinny for straight Virginia’s, etc)
It's mostly subjective, you may find the opposite true. I can find no difference in chamber shapes and one blend tastes the same to me regardless of which pipe I smoke it in. After thirty years of having many different shapes of pipes and chambers, I generally only buy one pipe shape now.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ll smoke Lakeland in a cob, Meer, or my dedicated Dunhill Shell 64’. I’ll smoke English/Balkan in a Meer or one of a handful of briars that match up.
I have a dedicated briar for aros, or otherwise Meer is used. The rest is purely left up to my folly & which of my pipes & blends speaks to me. ☕