PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I just received a little package from Kiel. Fellow piper, on this forum, from American but lives in China too.

I've been wanting to dabble with Virginias a little more and he very nicely offered to share some of his.

It comes right on time. It's top notch, and very generous in quantities. (I have to be honest, it was more than my side of the exchange! )
C&DGentlemen Caller

C&D Opening Night

C&D Sunday Picnic

Tabac Manil - Semois (very excited about this one, comes from my oh dearly missed Belgium)

MCC 5100 Red Cake

GLP Union Square

GLP JackKnifePlug
Thanks man ! Very cool ! 8)

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Be very careful with the Gentleman Caller.

It's pungent and ghosts like hell.
I liked it so much at the beginning that I sprayed it around my house to make it smell the same way,

after 2 days I realized how much I hated it. Too late.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Opening Night is a good smoke, just opened the tin last week, I have not smoked enuf to notice any ghosting with that blend

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Semois seems like the one that gets out of the assortment. I read a bit about it. Very curious to discover.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
Carver was the one who got the ball rolling on our exchange. Originally, I was just going to send some 5100, but he insisted on a sampler exchange, and it was a great idea. I recieved my GLPs Old London Series sampler first, and have going through it slowly:

Gaslight Plug

Quiet Nights

Meridian

Sextant

Sixpence

Plus a sample of SPCs potlatch
This exchange really scratched a massive itch. First, I have been able to sample a great line up of GLP blends and aee which ones I eant to buy more of(Queit Nights definitely on that list), secondly and more importantly, it is kind of hard to find exchanges like this over here. We often see on the forum "thank you so-and-so for such-and-such." These are awesome acts of generosity, sharing, and education. I am happy to finally be apart of an exchange like this. Getting a package in the mail from a fellow pipe smoker is always a good package!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Semois seems like the one that gets out of the assortment. I read a bit about it. Very curious to discover.
That's the one I'd be itcin' to try. Plenty of controversy there; seems to be a love it or hate it blend.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
That's the one I'd be itcin' to try. Plenty of controversy there; seems to be a love it or hate it blend.
I will not say "hate", but I will definitely not say "love". It was rough around the edges. I wasn't prepared for this. But I can totally picture it now, being from our Semois Valleys in Belgium. Rough weather, rough ground, rough (but generous) people, rough blend.
It definitely slapped me in the face with its "cigar" feel, that I personally didn't care for. I smoke the pipe for its meloowness and subtlety, and I just got a tree trunk on the head.

The nic hit is appreciated, and I will surely give it another go in a few days to confirm what my initial impressions were.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If you don't find redeeming qualities in the codger burly blends, you will probably not enjoy Semois.

Burly tobacco itself seems to be a hurdle for some of us.

My advice is to stay with any new to you burly blend for many bowls before you evaluate.

The first few to several bowls may be considered as awakening bowls...alerting your palate to subtle Burly nuance, that you will eventually embrace with an epiphany of tobacco goodness.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
My advice is to stay with any new to you burly blend for many bowls before you evaluate.

The first few to several bowls may be considered as awakening bowls...alerting your palate to subtle Burly nuance, that you will eventually embrace with an epiphany of tobacco goodness.
Thanks for the advice, as I said, I'll definitely give it more tries. Unfortunately, I don't have lots and lots of it, maybe 2 more bowls of Semois. But I do have more Burleys though.

Any other advice on how to tame and domesticate the Burley Beast ?

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
There is nothing special about Semois, unless your tongue is experienced with other Burleys.
It's just a plain, nice tobacco. Only thing that will impress a new smoker about it, is the price tag.
pagan

All the blends on here are fairly neutral, they won't ghost, the one you are talking about as well.

The Gentleman caller is the only troublemaker.

Even Lakelands don't ghost that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.