GBD Virgin Bulldog (Perspex Stem) Restoration.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one was a pretty simple restoration, I'd forgotten how easy Perspex stems are to restore. (well, at least ones in good condition.

Full details are on the Reborn Pipes Blog:

Before

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome job on that notable briar and high quality stem that came totally back to life. On this GDB, does "Virgin" mean that the briar started out unstained? I have an unfinished pipe or two that has reached that depth of finish. It's a great experience, though mine are Savinelli.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The results are incredible. Amazing work as always. I've always wondered about those clear stems and the special steps needed to clean them up.

I have a feeling I will be checking back there again if I ever find a nice clear stemmed pipe.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Beautiful work! That seems like a quintessential bulldog. Does it take a lot of effort to get/keep the airway on the clear stems clean? I really like the appearance of them, but have always wondered about the effort required to keep them looking good.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
In GBD terms "Virgin" is simply a higher grade pipe, with a light finish (but not unstained) and reportedly no fills.
Perspex stems are always clear.
I didn’t know this! I figured they had no stain. I have an unsmoked post merger billiard I’ve been meaning to fire up. ?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Looks Great! I've avoided cleaning the brown airway of my EXEXL straight grain pre trans Barling because I heard alcohol and acetone were hard on perpex. might have to try it now. ?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I use lacquer thinner to clean the airway. Leave a cleaner saturated with thinner in the airway for about 1/2 hour, then run one through with water. Then polish the airway with a cleaner dusted with Rottenstone chucked in a drill.

I’ve tried to polish out drill marks in the airway with different grades of abrasives, so there would be a nice smooth clear airway, but I haven’t had a lot of success. I suppose with more time I could do that, but then I’d rather just be smoking the darn thing...

C3-E2-ED42-C444-4-C2-D-B6-C4-F11-F04-DF9-FD5.jpg

C54-D2332-3-AE9-4-FC4-AA04-A629-FB242-D7-B.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.