PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

redclaypipe

Lurker
Feb 24, 2021
GA
Recently, I acquired a beat up GBD pipe and went on to restoring process. Worked on it for two days and now it's a beautiful pipe. Here is a question that I have for you guys. Have you ever seen a tenon with round end? 20211019_200005.jpg
I own some pipes from 1940s to present day but it's my first time to encounter such a tenon out look. If anyone knows what era this stem work was implemented, please let me know. 20211019_195922.jpg20211019_195821.jpg

Mar 29, 2016
Recently, I acquired a beat up GBD pipe and went on to restoring process. Worked on it for two days and now it's a beautiful pipe. Here is a question that I have for you guys. Have you ever seen a tenon with round end? View attachment 103635
I own some pipes from 1940s to present day but it's my first time to encounter such a tenon out look. If anyone knows what era this stem work was implemented, please let me know. View attachment 103637View attachment 103638
I got the same one, I bought it brand new on E Bay some 8 years ago, I use it for the McClelland Orientals.

Reactions: redclaypipe

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The bullet tenon (my name) is often seen on Virgin grade pipes and they also often have the "Hand Cut" stamp on the stem. That stamp is very small, and easy to miss or erase with buffing,etc. Great looking GBD!

redclaypipe

Lurker
Feb 24, 2021
GA
Thank you, guys!

I like the name " bullet tenon ". I'm curious what is the story behind the making of the bullet tenon. I'll research further if there's any info out there.

redclaypipe

Lurker
Feb 24, 2021
GA
I see. Thank you very much for sharing. Indeed, it's a fascinating and intriguing tenon shape. You are such a stylish man to be able to come up with such a name for this tenon shape!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A Prehistoric Cavalier, with a hand cut stem and the most detailed tenon I've ever seen on a GBD (but not a bullet style). The only Prehistoric that I've encountered with the Hand Cut stem stamp.

1634694976412.jpeg
1634694992360.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I see. Thank you very much for sharing. Indeed, it's a fascinating and intriguing tenon shape. You are such a stylish man to be able to come up with such a name for this tenon shape!
Well, my two daughters and wife would never refer to me as stylish, but thanks!
The bullet end would seem to be counter-intuitive to a smooth smoke, I would think it would "trap" smoke vs a funneled tenon. (that is used by many artisan makers)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@ssjones , how do you like GBD Virgin compared to the other lines from GBD?
By my experience, they don't smoke any better or worse than other grades, the but Bullet tenon Virgin's seem to have better buttons - I suspect they were all handcut, but some just didn't get the stamp. But, that is only a hunch. I stay away from real low end GBD's, like the Rockroot, I would assume they might not have been made with the same care.

redclaypipe

Lurker
Feb 24, 2021
GA
Very well. I just finished restoring the pipe today so I will wait a day or two for it to be completely dry before I smoke it. Unfortunately, i cannot detect the "hand cut" stamp anywhere on my tenon but everything else regarding to the logo and the shape is identical to what you have posted above.

@ssjones, sir your resources were very helpful. Once again, thank you!

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Recently, I acquired a beat up GBD pipe and went on to restoring process. Worked on it for two days and now it's a beautiful pipe. Here is a question that I have for you guys. Have you ever seen a tenon with round end? View attachment 103635
I own some pipes from 1940s to present day but it's my first time to encounter such a tenon out look. If anyone knows what era this stem work was implemented, please let me know. View attachment 103637View attachment 103638
yes standard for handcut GBD stems