PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I have a few GBD smokers that require stem replacement or repair. One was bitten through and repaired (badly) by me another is showing some chatter and is missing a rondel and still another is cracking on either side of the button.
Can anyone recommend a repair person who does GBDs and will replace a missing rondel?

Thanks in advance.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
If you can’t find someone to replace with a real GBD rondel, it isn’t that hard to make a resin cast using metallic powder. You make a silicone mold, apply the very fine metallic powder inside the mold with a brush, pour the resin.
Thanks for you response
That sounds well beyond my skill set.
If you ever try your hand at making replacement rondelles please let me know.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I made some resin keepsakes for the NoirCon conference about ten years ago. I’m checking if a friend has pics (mine are in storage). I’ll post some pics if he sends them. If you can’t find a pro repair, I’ll try to help you out.

• Love
Reactions: LotusEater

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I don't know anyone who has replacement rondell's.
If someone can make a resin cast, I'd love to see that.
A repair man had a supply he had made, about 15 years ago, but they are long gone.
Was this the guy you were thinking of

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Is it possible to salvage a rondelle from another GBD stem? If so, maybe there are repair guys who have orphaned stems handy?
That’s what I’m thinking
I’m going to keep an eye out on eBay for good deals on GBDs with intact Rondelles. Alternatively I may harvest one or two from other GBDs I own.

Reactions: Ryan
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
One of my friends just sent some pics. This was sculpted first, then a mold made, metallic powder applied to the mold, then black resin was poured into the mold. You can see the black back of one at the lower left.

For the GBD piece, a direct cast would be have to be made to be accurate. This is just to give an idea of the use of the metallic powder. Some watered down black acrylic paint could be applied to get into the books if needed.

IMG_20220831_205628.jpg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
One of my friends just sent some pics. This was sculpted first, then a mold made, metallic powder applied to the mold, then black resin was poured into the mold. You can see the black back of one at the lower left.

For the GBD piece, a direct cast would be have to be made to be accurate. This is just to give an idea of the use of the metallic powder. Some watered down black acrylic paint could be applied to get into the books if needed.

View attachment 166247
That’s pretty phenomenal detail!!
What would you say the diameter of the coin is?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Was this the guy you were thinking of

As you may know, Mike Myers is retiring or has retired: Walker Pipe Repair - http://walkerpiperepair.com/index.html

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
That’s what I’m thinking
I’m going to keep an eye out on eBay for good deals on GBDs with intact Rondelles. Alternatively I may harvest one or two from other GBDs I own.
I’ve been looking for donor pipes for the same purpose (and on the same site) for a little while now. I’ve missed some auctions where basically it was $12 -15 including shipping.

I did notice sometimes when the pictures aren’t clear enough you can’t tell the difference between the gold stamped stems and the ones with the actual metal insert.