PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I bought a pipe at an antique store a few months ago, I originally thought it said "DIGE" on the side, but now that I have cleaned it up it actually says: "D/GB London" and on the other side "Made in England 9438". Is this a GBD or not? And, if so, about what age do you think it is?

Aug 1, 2012
Sounds like you found a Digby which is a GBD second. Post a pic of it if you can and that might help. Is there a D on the stem?

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Not that I can see, but I think you are right, now that I look at it a little closer I can just barely see part of a "Y".

Aug 1, 2012
That shape is one of my top 5 favorite shapes. Nice one to have and the nomenclature sounds pre-Cadogan. Good get.
EDIT: If you need more info or help with a resto on it, drop me a PM.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Neat, a Digby 9438! I have an old Digby 9242 shape (similar, just with a tapered stem vs. saddle). Let see a picture of that one.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Al, I'm not sure you would want to see a picture of it, the pipe was really a mess when I got it, it had so much cake that I could not fit the tip of my little finger in it! It really cleaned up well though, other than the fact that the previous owner apparently was enamored of the Custombilt style of rusticating... pipe bits. The end of the bit looks like it has been worked over pretty well with a Dremel, ugly as can be, but it is a good smoker and actually I find the rusticated bit fits my mouth quite well!
CaptainSousie, what does pre-Cadogan mean? I do not know much about these pipes.

Aug 1, 2012
GBD was taken over by the Cadogan company in 1981 and quality declined markedly. GBD and sub brand pipes that came before that time are generally considered to be "better".

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pre-Cadogan pipes are stamped "London, England" in a single line. Cadogan era pipes started around 1981 and the stamped changed to a round "Made In London" with "England" underneath in a straight line.
Heck, now I have to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.