PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own one, but I'd say generally highly regarded, a good English factory pipe that is well-made and durable, and smokes well. That's its rep. It doesn't hurt that it's been around a very long time.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm a sucker for Perspex stems, and almost never smoke a briar...
9l7fc2c.jpg

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
I have a couple of post Cadogan era GBDs and a few of their seconds. Most of them are good smokers. One in particular is a classically shaped English saddle stemmed billiard. I think I paid 35 bucks for it somewhere around 1981. It's not much to look at. The finish is a generic brown, the grain is unremarkable but the lines and proportions of the pipe are very nice. At one time it was one of my favorite knock around pipes. It now sits in my smokers stand neglected with a stem that I bit through many years ago. I often think that maybe I should have the stem replaced but it's probably not worth it beyond the sentimental value the pipe has.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I have more than 20 GBDs of different grades, all are pre 1982. They are always in my active rotation. In my experience even the “lower” grades will be good smokers. Just not as nice grain. That being said I have some lower grades with nicer grain than the same shape in a higher grade.

They’re a safe bet when you’re buying estate pipes. Just look for the pre-Cadogan pipes, there are plenty to be had.

Reactions: dcon and whsergent