PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Over the last few weeks, member "weezel" (Dave) noticed I had been commenting on GBD pipes. I was trying to acquire a 9242 or 9438 shape with no luck, all went beyond my pipe budget. Dave PM'd me to see if I was interested in some GBD's his father had from a friend who passed away. I said sure and was astounded when Dave replied that he would like to give them to me, with the stipulation that I clean them up and enjoy them and not sell the pipes. I agreed of course and in communication with him, we found some shared local experiences when he worked in my town.
Sure enough, the two pipes showed up yesterday and I was a bit overcome with emotion when unpacking them. Keep in mind, Dave didn't know me from Adam until we started PM'ing each other. I now count him as a friend and look forward to meeting him at some point. His kindness will be repaid with some tobacco blend favorites and others I think he will enjoy collected in my work travels. I will be picking up a Cincinnati store this year, so we will meet and look forward to that very much.
I learned both pipes are Colossus Models and the Seventy Six was released for the 1976 Bicentennial celebration. The Colossus line was usually is supposed to be made on the Virgin or Pedigree line and this one sure shows it. Here is what the Seventy Six looked like. It is quite a large pipe and a wonderful shape, plus a stout 85 grams. The grain pattern is really nice and it is almost unblemished with nary a tooth mark on the stem. So, that was an easy polish.

Both bowls were cleaned and reamed and are filled with in an Everclear/Sea Salt solution.
The 76 bowl came out beautiful and nearly unmarked. It has been buffed at some point and the nomenclature is weak but legible. I polished the stem with the final three micromesh grades as it was in great shape. The tobacco in the draft hole was stubborn, finally releasing with some auto plastic cleaner on a pipe cleaner. I will polish it lightly with white rouge and than carnuba tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to seeing smoke curl thru that perspex stem (tomorow?). Stay tuned

The Oom-Paul was in pretty rough shape and I'm still not sure what else to do. It looks so inviting to hold and smoke, I hope it works out OK. Here is how she looked:

The Oom-Paul was covered in a thick layer of tobacco & grime. The owner must have used this as a shop pipe. Some Everclear removed most but not all the grime. This pipe led a somewhat rougher life, but cleaning revealed it too is a Colossus pipe, Made In England, the GBD oval logo is visible and curiously so is "Ed Kollar". I assume Ed was the owner and the friend of my Daves father? This stem was much more stubborn and there are hairline cracks through the stem that won't release the stains. A crack on the top and bottom of the curved portion also runs the full bent length, on both sides. Too bad, but it may still be smokeable? If not, it may be worthwhile getting a GBD roundel stem made for this one? This huge briar also looks pretty inviting to smoke. The stain color is a bit uneven, but I'm afraid to do more at this point. If someone has a suggestion for a next step, I'm all ears.

Both stems polished, the Oom Paul has an Everclear soaked cleaner inserted, I'll see what some time does.

It took me about three hours of work to this point, what a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
I'm still astounded by Dave's kindness and very grateful for the opportunity own and smoke these pipes. Ray Lewis and Terrel Suggs together couldn't pry these two out of my hands. They are marked "not to be sold" in my pipe log. When the day comes I'm too old to light a briar, they'll be gifted to a GBD enthusiast to continue their smoking lives (Grandson?). I hope that is many years and bowls in the future. That person will also have to agree not to sell the pipes, but only continue their legacy of goodwill.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Walker Briar Works is doing a complete restem on a GBD for me. Dave may very well be able to handle the stem issues if they prove unfixable. He will float the emblem onto the new stem, as well.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Great work, I love a GBD, and I have several. The prehistorics are my favorite in the 9438 shape. You will really enjoy those pipes, I would not worry about the stained perspex too much, as you smoke them run pipe cleaners through them while the pipe is still hot. The stains will lessen quickly.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Something I always try to remember while working on a rough looking estate pipe.....someone must have dearly loved that pipe and had a lot of great smokes out of it for it to get to me looking like it did.
I bet they are great smokers!

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Great story, thanks for posting. I have always liked the looks of the old GBD pipes, and wish I had at least one in my collection.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Great pipes and great members here . I have also recieved many gifts and made many friends behind the scenes here as well . :worship:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
The people here are very nice. FOr example I wanted to try snuff, so I asked a member if I could buy a small tin off him and he said "Ill giive you some samples". He gave me 12 or so nice sized samples

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
ol' Weezil is a purty nice feller! He contacted me a couple weeks back to see if I'd like to have a DG Starfire Author he had. It's nice example of one of my favorite shapes!

Nice GBD's!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys and the perspex tip, this is my first of that kind of stem. They are very easy to work on, vs vulcanite. I definitely think "Ed Kollar" must have loved that Oom-Paul and smoke it a lot! I haven't heard from weezel yet to see if his father knew this person, but I'm sure he'll get the message shortly.
The bowl soak is completed. I think the 76 needs a little pipe mud in the bottom, there is an area that needs build-up with pipe mud and I'll do that shortly, so no first smoke yet. Anticipation....
Jerry Hanna, the owner of the GBD Pipe Info Page replied to my email about the Seventy Six and sent me this neat 1976 catalog page describing the 76 line. The Oom-Paul also has a "7" shape number and I asked him to check if that might also be a Seventy Six version. This makes sense as none of the three Oom-Paul shapes (or Hungarian) use the 7 number anywhere in their shape numbers. I love this detective work almost as much as the restoration and smoking. Fascinating stuff.

I'll buff the Seventy Six today (lightly!) and the Hungarian will probably get smoked first. My mother is a Hungarian native, so this one has a little special meaning to me in that area as well.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
What a great exchange between the 2 of ya!
Al, I've had very good results using peroxide on the clear stems.

I have a full bent that was similar in condition to the Oom Paul stem you show. I propped it up so that both ends were pointing up and filled the airway with the peroxide. Let it sit for a few hours and attacked with pipe cleaners. After 3 or 4 cycles the staining was almost completely gone.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, the pipes are finished and I am smoking the Oom Paul right now. No ghosting, which is amazing, I must have done my prep right. The bowl is a little warm, so I'm going slow to build cake. A very nice smoke. The patina on this one really strikes a cord with me. Hopefully Mr. Hanna sheds a little more light.
The Seventy Six is also stamped 9476, which is listed no where on any GBD chart I can find. It must be an oddity of the Bicentennial pipes. It is so clean, as that I just hold and look at it while the touch of pipe mud dries in the bottom of the bowl.
Both of these will be treasured pipes to be enjoyed in my collection, thanks Mr. Ward!
Finished pictures below
The Colossus Seventy Six:

The Oom-Paul:

Both Colossus Pipes ready for action:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Mike, I enjoy the restorations as much as smoking them. That job gives me a special connection to these treasures.

These pipes, from Ohio, were probably first sold thru Smokers Haven in that state. At the time, they were one of few shops in the US selling the GBD line and in particular the Colossus pipes. I hope to be working in Ohio this year and hope to perhaps meet Dave, yourself and any other local folks.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife and I just pulled the motor on our '79 MGB. I'm celebrating not injury anyone or breaking something by smoking the Rhodesian. It's definitely a hand-pipe, but smoking like a champ on the first bowl. No ghosts in this one either and cool as a cucumber. This one and I are going to be come very close friends. Thanks again Weezel!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mr. Hanna came through again, nailing the shape number, 17 of the Oom Paul. This guy is a treasure and I owe him a tin of his favorite tobacco as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.