Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey Mick

Lurker
Feb 20, 2020
Central London
39F17A1F-301A-4EF0-9A15-F8BEBBEF6AEB.jpeg
Hello smokers!
I was wondering if anyone can help me date this GBD pipe.
it has the brass inset in the stem and the rounded ‘Made in London England’ stamped on the shank along with the word ‘Coronation’ and the number ‘13’. Any assistance would be gratefully received. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: bent1

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Never seen this before. Would assume the coronation is a special line to celebrate a new monarch, as opposed to a model as wouldn’t that be copyrighted by charlatan?

what’s the button style?

Reactions: ChuckMijo

Whiskey Mick

Lurker
Feb 20, 2020
Central London
Never seen this before. Would assume the coronation is a special line to celebrate a new monarch, as opposed to a model as wouldn’t that be copyrighted by charlatan?

what’s the button style?

The Coronation of Queen Elizabeth 2nd was 1952 - some connection possibly?
It’s not a great shot but the button looks like this.AF73C13D-5798-45A4-8F56-77A57DEE9267.jpeg

Reactions: Ahi Ka

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I own quite a few GBD pipes I always enjoy smoking them. They make good pipes. I know people make a fuss over pre Cadogan era ,But I have a super Q pot probably from 1980s 90s that is one of my top smoking pipes. It never disappoints. Beautiful pipe you have there!!

Reactions: bent1 and Ahi Ka

Whiskey Mick

Lurker
Feb 20, 2020
Central London
I own quite a few GBD pipes I always enjoy smoking them. They make good pipes. I know people make a fuss over pre Cadogan era ,But I have a super Q pot probably from 1980s 90s that is one of my top smoking pipes. It never disappoints. Beautiful pipe you have there!!
Many thanks Chuck - I enjoy it for sure! Beats a lot of my Peterson’s and Rattrays smoking wise!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of what I read about GBD takes it as the clunky younger sister of British briars, but on the other hand G.L. Pease collects them, and he's a pipe man of renown. If I didn't have so many pipes, I might look for one. That's a handsome pipe!

Whiskey Mick

Lurker
Feb 20, 2020
Central London
Some of what I read about GBD takes it as the clunky younger sister of British briars, but on the other hand G.L. Pease collects them, and he's a pipe man of renown. If I didn't have so many pipes, I might look for one. That's a handsome pipe!
Yes - I trawled through his website collection but couldn’t find anything like mine! I might have a rarity - I don’t know! I’ll keep smoking it anyway - it’s a dream!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some of what I read about GBD takes it as the clunky younger sister of British briars
This must be the black sheep.

20190205_073852-2.jpg
Yes - I trawled through his website collection but couldn’t find anything like mine! I might have a rarity - I don’t know! I’ll keep smoking it anyway - it’s a dream!
Sounds like a rarity, the only Coronation line I'm aware of came from Charatan.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Interesting, I had always associated the merger between comoys and GBD with the 1980 (81?) restructuring, but these comments led me to look into it further and it seems there was some buddy buddy business going on between the 2 brands since the 60s

Reactions: Whiskey Mick

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
And here I have a box with George - a crown - Elizabeth, Coronation Briar on the lid.
Inside an unsmoked pipe : BWL in circles over Coronation. A Crown in the black stem. Also made in Leeds, England. Shape 3W ( Midium billiard)
I wonder if they had yellow stems in 1952 unless amber.
The dublin looking pipe above have shape 713 by BBB.
Every GBD smoker should have a copy of J.W. Coles
" The GBD St. Claude Story"

Status
Not open for further replies.