PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
All,
So I opened a tin of Gawith's Limited 2012 only to find the tobacco was bone dry. What was the thinking behind not sealing these tins? I went ahead and opened all of my Gawith Limited tins. They are all bone dry! WTF? This stuff ain't cheap. Anyone know the story with this blend?

Reactions: artvandelay007

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
They are the type of tin that’s simply not vacuum sealed. Rattray’s Exotic Orange, Solani Silver Flake, and several others are in these un-vacuum sealed tins. Now you know to be aware for future tin purchases, that they have to be jarred up or you can put the whole tin into mylar vacuum sealed bags.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have been lucky so far with the Best Brown No:2 flake tins and the Black XX tins but I really had better take a second look just to check.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have been lucky so far with the Best Brown No:2 flake tins and the Black XX tins but I really had better take a second look just to check.
The OP tin is like a WØ Larsen tin.. not sealed.
They just came in a coffin style metal box with an unsealed (folded with a little sticker on top) cellophane inside. Really an asinine setup.

Reactions: FurCoat

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
This issue is not the case with all Gawith tins. I have only found this in the Gawith Limited edition. But each of these Limited tins, dry as dust. I just picked these up so I would have never known they were bone dry till I opened one up.

I would like to try it bone dry but my usual trick with unpleasant tobacco won't really work. I usually jar it and let it sit for a few years. Well, this stuff has already been aged, so age won't really work.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
This issue is not the case with all Gawith tins. I have only found this in the Gawith Limited edition. But each of these Limited tins, dry as dust. I just picked these up so I would have never known they were bone dry till I opened one up.

I would like to try it bone dry but my usual trick with unpleasant tobacco won't really work. I usually jar it and let it sit for a few years. Well, this stuff has already been aged, so age won't really work.
Smoke some and see how it goes.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@BROBS The hinged tins. Got you now. I have always given those a miss since the contents is always bone dry. Had one as a gift the other year and it was a total pain to rehydrate and not really to my taste.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Companies should really stop using these, or if they insist they should seal the tobacco in a Mylar in the tin the way that Solani did for a short time and then stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.