Gawith Hoggarth Has Dropped - Jumping In or Waiting It Out?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Well, I made it one of my goals for 2021 to finally man up and try a Lakeland blend. I ordered 2oz each of Broken Flake, Best Brown Flake #2, and Brown Flake Unscented from SP.com today. I also grabbed a tin of Best Brown Flake #2 from Iwan Ries... in case I like the bulk version. Fingers crossed. I will not be smoking these in my Sasieni or Jesse Jones pipes! I've set aside an old Comoy's Sandblast and an old Jelling for the trial. Its times like this I wish I had a Meer!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I don’t see the listing for Coconut Twist - are they not making this anymore? Was curious to try it.
A decent twist flavor however I wouldn't fret too much. Their flavored twists are pretty light on the topping and taste mostly of tobacco. One flavor is pretty much the same as the next once the topping burns off... which occurs about two seconds into the smoke. Just buy a straight brown twist and you're 99% of the way there anyway.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I would not have ordered bulk tobacco at the price listed if I didn't also want some individual cigars from the same retailer.

I cannot, however, pretend that I am not excited to sample all the G&H blends I've never tried. Got an oz or two of most of their Lakeland blends.

What say ye?
I bit. Yeah the bulk prices are high for bulk, but they're still a pretty good value compared to tin prices. I picked up a number of blends. A couple that I have tried and wanted to stock up on, and a number that have never been widely available since I began pipe smoking in earnest 18 months ago:
Ennerdale (pipe smoking goal #2 for 2021 complete!)
Bob's Chocolate
Glengarry Flake
Kendal Flake
Rum Flake
Bosun Cut Plug
Dark Bird's Eye
Brown Flake Aromatic
#7 Broken Flake

Didn't see any Sweet Maple or Sweet Coconut twist, which are also on my "stock up" list, or Grasmere, which is on my "try" list, but based on the email that SPC sent out, it looks like Gawith will be a little more consistently available now that Laudisi is the US distributor.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Shit’ll get u twisted
It's strong alright, but really tasty. I also think that DBE is one of the components Ken Byron uses to blend Mycroft, which I believe is one of your fav KBV blends (and one of mine too.). I'm hoping this drop and the (hopeful) continued availability of Gawith will mean the release of more Mycroft.

Reactions: JOHN72 and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It's strong alright, but really tasty. I also think that DBE is one of the components Ken Byron uses to blend Mycroft, which I believe is one of your fav KBV blends (and one of mine too.). I'm hoping this drop and the (hopeful) continued availability of Gawith will mean the release of more Mycroft.
I believe it’s actually the Kendal Kentucky in it but can’t be sure.

but my point is moot because that’s available too ? ?

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Picked up a few oz of some random GH blends. Boson Cut 2oz since I have about 1oz or so from a while back and really like it. Come to think of it i haven't had a bad blend from any of the Gowith boys plus their stuff is really unique and different with quality leaf being used in all their blends. Thank you for the heads up:)

Reactions: BROBS