PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
You usually expect a tobacco to evolve and get stronger as you progress more and more in your smoke, but this particular one shows all of its strength as you light up your bowl right from the outset. This is a full-bodied/strength tobacco that might turn the stomach of the most experienced smoker, so be advised. The tin note is difficult to describe, but it gives you this hint (nor very pronounced) so characteristic of most of the Lakeland tobaccos. This shows in your smoke too, but this does not affect your smoking experience after it dissipates. The moist content of these flakes is quite high and they seem to be very slow burning even after you dry them up. This tobacco smokes quite evenly in your bowl and it produces a fine white ash very similar to that of a cigar's. I find the smoke it produces a little bit harsh to pass through your nose, but this might as well be due to its cigar qualities and the way it smokes. As a matter of fact, I find this tobacco closer to a cigar than pipe tobacco in so many fronts. The appearance of these flakes are very appealing too and their deep dark colour would give the impression they've been heavily fermented. This tobacco is ticking off so many boxes in my book, so I will give a 3 stars.
photo%2061_zpshbu1x22k.jpg

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
It really is all that strong. As a matter of fact, this is probably the strongest tobacco in the nicotine department I have ever tried.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
It really is all that strong

By a happy accident I became a huge fan of British style flakes. I had found a lot of 5 ten or so year old tins including 2 of Bobs Choc. Flake, a tin of the SG Choc Flake, a tin of Ennerdale and one of Broken Scotch Cake. I had passed all these by at the local B&M many times, especially the idea of chocolate tobacco, but the price was right($50) and I was trying to find some aged tobacco at the time. Any how, I fell in love with all but the Broken Scotch Flake.
I had done much reading especially Pipestud's review and it convinced me to try some DFS. So my next order to smokingpipes I order 4 oz. of DFS and a tin of 1792. I had never tried any dark fired leaf but Iliked the idea of something strong as I was transitioning from cigarettes. Long story shortened, they were way too strong, I like the initial flavour but 5 minutes in I felt like I was chewing on some Nicorette, I could feel the nicotine on the back of my throat. I love steam pressed tobacco, but I have learned to stick to the more medium fare.
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Love me some Dark Plug Unscented. Particularly flaked into an aro to give it strength and flavor.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I've only smoked the scented version. As a matter of fact, it was this review that made me load a bowl and am smoking it as I write this. Minimal Lakeland presence and not as cigarish as SG's 1792. Not a regular for me, but a nice change of pace. Nicotine definitely more so than Irish Flake which is a favorite of mine. Thanks for the review jorgesoler!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The plug in stock at Mars, too.
Thanks for the review, Jorge. I think I am going to fire up a bowl here in a bit, its been a while since I've smoked any. Definitely try the plug though, its a step above the flake.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Dark Flake is my favorite, since about 2005, dark and spicy. I don't find the cigar notes so often mentioned. Very strong, but black rope is stronger, and the brown is stronger still. 1792 is somewhat less.
Kendal Dark a notch below.
Condor, Royal Yacht and Old Dark Fired are about two notches below.

Status
Not open for further replies.