PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
It's been on my radar for ages, I know @cosmicfolklore rates it, so more info of what it tastes like would be very welcome!
I smoke this often as a last pipe before bed in a Very small pipe.Its made from what was called Empire tobaccos from Malawi (dark fired) and India (air- cured) this is an old blend with enough nic to keep you going on a 12hr night shift, when ships were made of wood and men of steel. Its strong cool smoking doesn't bite and does not taste like any other blend I have tried.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If I only have a few minutes to get in a couple puffs, this is the choice. Burns quick, delivers a full taste and full nic- quick, but a deep bowl of it will get weird about halfway down. So a shallow Prince or small cob are the go-to shapes for me. I've found I like it best for mixing with aromatics like Kendal Gold Blueberry or Kendal Black Cherry.
DBE also goes really well with coffee, but ya might want to eat a bite or three of something with it?

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
If I only have a few minutes to get in a couple puffs, this is the choice. Burns quick, delivers a full taste and full nic- quick, but a deep bowl of it will get weird about halfway down. So a shallow Prince or small cob are the go-to shapes for me. I've found I like it best for mixing with aromatics like Kendal Gold Blueberry or Kendal Black Cherry.
DBE also goes really well with coffee, but ya might want to eat a bite or three of something with it?
+1 on it getting weird in a deep bowl. I usually just take a clump of it and work it into the top half of my pipe. Haven't tried it in a shallow bowl, but i have been thinking of dedicating a cob to it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like it. I actually prefer the flavor Kendal Dark/Dark Flake/Dark Plug (maybe because they are slightly more floral than DBE?), but the Dark Birds Eye and Kendal Kentucky are real good as well. I should get a couple ounces of one of the above ribbon cuts just to have around for a shorter smoke. One of the best things about Dark Flake and Dark Plug is just how slowly they burn. It's not uncommon for me to get 90-120 minutes out of a medium sized bowl with those two. Wonderful, but not always practical.

Oct 7, 2016
Is that your new signature line?

edited to add to @oldgeezersmoker :

Once in a while I’ll have a bowl. Loading a bowl always snags me, as it’s the opposite of cramming Dark Plug.
Exactly. I haven’t done any scientific comparisons, but my guess is if you weighed how I pack it it wouldn’t be more than about 2/3 of how tight I would pack most everything else. Once you get those long thin strands burning, and tamp lightly, you can easily keep it lit with a VERY slow cadence. I think most people who have trouble with it pack too tight and puff too hard.

DBE was the very first GH blend I smoked, a sample given to me by the late Tom Coldwell at a pipe show circa 1985. Once the room stopped spinning......