PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I got this on a whim visiting Sven Steinmann's amazing pipe shop in Basel. Saw "Escudo" on the jar and supposed it is a VaPer - it is not, but it somewhat tastes like one. Sven told me the backstory to the blend. Basel is a great little city, but any pipe-smoking visitor could do worse than checking out Sven's pipe shop on arrival!

Visually, it is made up of coins at various stages of disintegration, but the intact coins do hold up in time and have been sauced with something which at least keeps them together. The coins are mostly brown to dark brown, with a few very dark strands that look like Gawith's dark fired Virginia used in the brown ropes, but I don't get much of that resinous/oily flavour at all from this blend. There are some bright yellow strands here and there, but not in all coins, and likely had some age on it as the coins were pretty crusted.

The smell, which very consistently translates to taste, is sour/fermented, not very sweet or grassy, some spice.

Part of the reason it took me smoking through 50g to write a review is that its taste does not remind me of other straight Virginias, it tastes like a VaPer without being one, and it took me a while to figure it out. There's nothing to figure out in fact, just pleasurable bowl after bowl after bowl.

It has a sourness that makes me think of Perique, and it is a bit tangy, maybe it has a bit of red Va in it. There's some bread, very little grass, little sweetness, some nuttyness, pepper and spice, and the underlying fermented sourness which is always there. There may be a hint of Lakeland, but it is very very minor. The taste is rich, full and harmonious, the sweetness is just right for this blend in my opinion, more it would mask the rest of the nice flavours going on, less would make it harsh.

I note a few of the reviewers mention tongue bite, I got none from this blend.

Smoked through 50g fairly fast, and each bowl was very consistent and pleasant, making me think this is a good candidate for cellaring.

Needs some drying, incidentally, the best bowl I had was once where I was in a hurry and put a few coins on a plate and stuck it in the still hot oven right after cooking for 5 minutes.

Attachments

• 1640856139440.png
    1640856139440.png
    917.1 KB · Views: 12
Jun 25, 2021
England
I find it greatly preferable smoked moist, it comes across tangy and citrus that way.

I got distracted and let some dry out much more tban I usually would, and got no flavour at all until halfway down, when I got a smell and taste exactly like beef burgers on a barbecue.
I know some people like that sort of flavour, but to me it's absolutely loathsome.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I find it greatly preferable smoked moist, it comes across tangy and citrus that way.

I got distracted and let some dry out much more tban I usually would, and got no flavour at all until halfway down, when I got a smell and taste exactly like beef burgers on a barbecue.
I know some people like that sort of flavour, but to me it's absolutely loathsome.
I never got anything like that, but I will give it a go not bone dry next time.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Going off the SPC pic of the blend, the coins look like they have a Birdseye pressed rope style to them. If the ropes were in a decent case when pressed This process could have released a bit of the juice and developed that sweet tang and inner fermentation. I don’t know the blend, but have made Birdseye coins and standard coins before

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Interesting review, thanks. Sounds almost as an OTC like Dark Twist (MB), still wet from casing, sourness and risk of bite..I guess you lucky ones can still get many of the other good, more pure, English made blends in Basel, since brexit has no local effect and they haven't overtaxed/'hidden' pipe tobacco, like here in Denmark, yet? I have stayed/been in Basel twice. Love it! And I also bought a (Danish!) pipe from Sven? Top service!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I got this on a whim visiting Sven Steinmann's amazing pipe shop in Basel. Saw "Escudo" on the jar and supposed it is a VaPer - it is not, but it somewhat tastes like one. Sven told me the backstory to the blend. Basel is a great little city, but any pipe-smoking visitor could do worse than checking out Sven's pipe shop on arrival!

Visually, it is made up of coins at various stages of disintegration, but the intact coins do hold up in time and have been sauced with something which at least keeps them together. The coins are mostly brown to dark brown, with a few very dark strands that look like Gawith's dark fired Virginia used in the brown ropes, but I don't get much of that resinous/oily flavour at all from this blend. There are some bright yellow strands here and there, but not in all coins, and likely had some age on it as the coins were pretty crusted.

The smell, which very consistently translates to taste, is sour/fermented, not very sweet or grassy, some spice.

Part of the reason it took me smoking through 50g to write a review is that its taste does not remind me of other straight Virginias, it tastes like a VaPer without being one, and it took me a while to figure it out. There's nothing to figure out in fact, just pleasurable bowl after bowl after bowl.

It has a sourness that makes me think of Perique, and it is a bit tangy, maybe it has a bit of red Va in it. There's some bread, very little grass, little sweetness, some nuttyness, pepper and spice, and the underlying fermented sourness which is always there. There may be a hint of Lakeland, but it is very very minor. The taste is rich, full and harmonious, the sweetness is just right for this blend in my opinion, more it would mask the rest of the nice flavours going on, less would make it harsh.

I note a few of the reviewers mention tongue bite, I got none from this blend.

Smoked through 50g fairly fast, and each bowl was very consistent and pleasant, making me think this is a good candidate for cellaring.

Needs some drying, incidentally, the best bowl I had was once where I was in a hurry and put a few coins on a plate and stuck it in the still hot oven right after cooking for 5 minutes.
that pic is the most fun if you imagine that the tin is a regular sized tobacco tin. :) Not only would those be huge coins that pipe :).

Reactions: BROBS and karam