PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Like many, I've been on quest to find a decent cherry blend. Well, this is it. This is a natural cherry flavor. I like candied cherry flavors but every tobacco I try like that turns my mouth into scorched earth. This one doesn't. It's smooth and easy to smoke and adds enough flavor to make it enjoyable without any hint of harshness. You can still taste the quality GH tobaccos underneath.

OK, I don't know if they are quality tobaccos or not and I hate it when reviewers say something like that! Let's be honest, we just know whether or not we like it. I worked tobacco shops for 20 years and I can't tell you which brands have "high grade" tobacco in them. After all, how many of us have made a living raising, grading or sorting tobacco? Almost none of us but we all like to pretend we are knowledgeable and sophisticated. So again, the reality is we just know we like it and we didn't find any bugs in it when we put it in our pipes. For all I know, it's dried cabbage that GH&Co has some how figured out how to make delicious. GH gets a lot of their tobacco's from places like Malawi and Indian. Is that quality? I have no idea. When you picture tobacco farmers in those places do you picture Mercedes Benz Combines driven by chauffeurs spritzing the fields with evian natural spring water while the farmers sip champagne in the back of the cab? I don't. I picture people living at or just above poverty level harvesting this delicious weed by hand hoping to make it through the day without getting eaten by a tiger or a lion so you and I can enjoy it from the comfort of our first world porches. But I digress.

Try some of this if you want a decent cherry blend and be thankful part of your job doesn't place you in line to be eaten by a tiger or lion.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If anything's gonna kill you out there it's that airplane, I've seen your description of it!
Hahaha, you’re not wrong. But hey, it passes annual every year (with some adjustments of course). Although having added the “quarantine 15” to my gut plus another “Mommy is out of town lets grill every night 5 or 6“ my heart might beat them both to the punch :ROFLMAO:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have 20+ cherry blends (a conservative estimate :) ). GH Exclusive Top Black Cherry is the best. GH Cherry Vanilla is right up there. I, obviously, like cherry blends, even the “candied ones” that, many criticize. I hope that the KBV Sakura becomes available again (supposedly more of a cherry blossom). I think that would be an interesting take on the genre.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
How does Exclusive Black Cherry compare to Kendal Black Cherry? I always assumed Exclusive/Top/Kendal were all the same blend but adapted to other markets/countries various naming conventions.

Jun 23, 2019
I have 20+ cherry blends (a conservative estimate :) ). GH Exclusive Top Black Cherry is the best. GH Cherry Vanilla is right up there. I, obviously, like cherry blends, even the “candied ones” that, many criticize. I hope that the KBV Sakura becomes available again (supposedly more of a cherry blossom). I think that would be an interesting take on the genre.

I accidentally ordered 2 kg of this stuff and did not regret it at all. (Did eventually let some go as I just don't smoke Aros that often).

How does Exclusive Black Cherry compare to Kendal Black Cherry? I always assumed Exclusive/Top/Kendal were all the same blend but adapted to other markets/countries various naming conventions.

Something about the way G&H uses cavendish in their Aros is just really pleasing to my palette.

Reactions: rushx9 and dcon

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I accidentally ordered 2 kg of this stuff and did not regret it at all. (Did eventually let some go as I just don't smoke Aros that often).

Something about the way G&H uses cavendish in their Aros is just really pleasing to my palette.
It is the fact that they, like most good English manufactures did/do, use VA based cavendish rather than burley.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
They have had to do some name changes do to UK and/or EU naming restrictions. I stocked heavy on the “Top” several years ago before all of the name changes but, I believe that those you mentioned are the same.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
It is the fact that they, like most good English manufactures did/do, use VA based cavendish rather than burley.
I agree 100%! I think some immediately judge a blend when they see the words Black Cavendish as being sweet, goopy, and weak on nicotine, but that English Black Cavendish is likely more akin to FVF or Blackpool. I suppose many FVF and Blackpool smokers don't think of themselves as Black Cavendish smokers either ?.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Like many, I've been on quest to find a decent cherry blend. Well, this is it. This is a natural cherry flavor. I like candied cherry flavors but every tobacco I try like that turns my mouth into scorched earth. This one doesn't. It's smooth and easy to smoke and adds enough flavor to make it enjoyable without any hint of harshness. You can still taste the quality GH tobaccos underneath.

OK, I don't know if they are quality tobaccos or not and I hate it when reviewers say something like that! Let's be honest, we just know whether or not we like it. I worked tobacco shops for 20 years and I can't tell you which brands have "high grade" tobacco in them. After all, how many of us have made a living raising, grading or sorting tobacco? Almost none of us but we all like to pretend we are knowledgeable and sophisticated. So again, the reality is we just know we like it and we didn't find any bugs in it when we put it in our pipes. For all I know, it's dried cabbage that GH&Co has some how figured out how to make delicious. GH gets a lot of their tobacco's from places like Malawi and Indian. Is that quality? I have no idea. When you picture tobacco farmers in those places do you picture Mercedes Benz Combines driven by chauffeurs spritzing the fields with evian natural spring water while the farmers sip champagne in the back of the cab? I don't. I picture people living at or just above poverty level harvesting this delicious weed by hand hoping to make it through the day without getting eaten by a tiger or a lion so you and I can enjoy it from the comfort of our first world porches. But I digress.

Try some of this if you want a decent cherry blend and be thankful part of your job doesn't place you in line to be eaten by a tiger or lion.
Have you tried G&H Cherry Vanilla?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
They have had to do some name changes do to UK and/or EU naming restrictions. I stocked heavy on the “Top” several years ago before all of the name changes but, I believe that those you mentioned are the same.
That’s what I’ve been able to gather about it. ?

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
The brown English cavendish are great, too. This, and Syrian Lat, is what made the old 965 so fantastic.
Have you tried G&H Cherry Cream Flake? I've been on the lookout for it to pop back up on SP. If it has a similar cherry flavor but with a more pronounced brown flake base then it seems like it might be pretty special.

Reactions: BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
haunted', you make an interesting point about presuming that any of us can evaluate the quality of a leaf. I guess when I presume like that I mean that the tobacco shines with full and mellow flavor. I couldn't tell you how it compares price-wise, or in the eyes of a professional tobacco buyer. I admit I don't have a clue. However, I have smoked leaf that tastes stale, harsh, jagged and edgy in flavor, or just cardboard-like, and for my purposes, that's low quality, but it isn't a professional opinion ... you're right about that.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.