Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Typical sales channel BS. Gawith has decided to change distributors. Nothing has been sent back by customs. To the contrary, the current distributor dumped everything at once when they were told about the change last week. A formal announcement will be made when the parties see fit to do it. With a very few exceptions on the GH side, all FDA filings have been done. The paperwork remaining is ahead of schedule.

There was an interview posted on the Pipes Magazine main page last fall with Chris Gawith. Yes, they now sell more tobacco in China than the US. If you read that interview, he rather clearly says that he would like for that to change. He can produce the product subject to normal lead times.

When he consolidated the two lines with Kretek (Phillips and King is a subsidiary of Kretek) Eric Stokkebye was in charge of things on the pipe side. Shortly after that announcement was made, ES got canned and a number of reps who called on accounts were let go.

Some in the business will be unhappy with the changes, some won’t, but the company wants to sell more tobacco in the US market. I hope the coming changes will be successful in that regard. The company would not have made them if they didn’t have the same expectations.
Isn’t this old news? I thought the distributor change was like 6-7 months ago...

Maybe someone just heard about it and went the panic route.

Jan 27, 2020
Didn’t someone mention earlier that they planned on using their Lakeland Essence in an artisanal shampoo and soap line?

Oct 7, 2016
Isn’t this old news? I thought the distributor change was like 6-7 months ago...

Maybe someone just heard about it and went the panic route.
No. There was a distributor change last year. I referenced an interview with Chris Gawith on this forum. That interview was conducted at the trade show in Las Vegas summer 2019 though it was not posted here until several weeks later. There will be newer distribution arrangements announced soon.

Oct 7, 2016
Twice the amount that the US is, according to Chris Gawith himself. I find it hard to believe GH & SG would willingly give up the US market. It may be smaller than China but it can't be insubstantial for them. Isn't it up to the importer/distributor i.e. Phillips & King to deal with the feds?
The typical import/export contract puts the onus of compliancE on the importer. There is always at least an implied, if not expressed, obligation of cooperation. For example, an ingredient list has to come from the exporter though the importer would be the one who files the papers.

Because of the size of the Chinese market, there is an impression that we are getting less of GH’s product because China is getting more. That is absolutely false.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Also the local retailers are hurting trying to get some as when the Phillips and King reps talked to the retailers they told them that the shipment went back to customs BUT.... certain larger players who order larger quantities got shipments of GH whereas the smaller retailers were fed the line about it going to customs.

Reactions: kanaia

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
I'm guessing that this is not substantiated. Those who I have spoken to have not heard any indication that S&G won't be available. It actually sounds like there will be a bunch hitting store shelves this week and or next. A bunch like 5-10x what was received last week and they are going to loosen some quantity restrictions.

My guess is that Covid-19 created some delays in processing and logistics, and that those are now getting sorted out and we can expect to see much more regular shipments going forward, er.. as regular as S&G has ever been. Just a couple of anecdotes and my opinion on the subject...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My earlier post seems to be pretty far off base. Sometimes public relations is a good thing: Gawith could explain. But never mind. I guess we'll see what happens.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
No. There was a distributor change last year. I referenced an interview with Chris Gawith on this forum. That interview was conducted at the trade show in Las Vegas summer 2019 though it was not posted here until several weeks later. There will be newer distribution arrangements announced soon.
Yes, that was the interview I was thinking of...

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Some good responses in this thread. I noticed someone else started a thread on the same topic. Maybe someone is telling someone some things that may not be true. From the responses, I’m guessing distribution is saying this. I hope it’s not true.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Because of the size of the Chinese market, there is an impression that we are getting less of GH’s product because China is getting more. That is absolutely false.
Though retail outlets don't seem to mind if we make that assumption. It's not how they run their business that's the issue, it's those people over there now keep giving us your money, thank you.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
Since discovering this topic I have read on multiple Facebook groups that people are apparently being "informed" both by online vendors & BMs alike that all SG tobaccos will generally no longer be available in the future due to unfiled FDA paperwork. This misinformation campaign seems to be bigger than just the one B&M employee. Sounds more like someone has an interest in driving panic sales of the remaining stock and making people think SG will be gone for good. It seems to be working too, people in those groups are already mass ordering like there's no tomorrow. cray

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Since discovering this topic I have read on multiple Facebook groups that people are apparently being "informed" both by online vendors & BMs alike that all SG tobaccos will generally no longer be available in the future due to unfiled FDA paperwork. This misinformation campaign seems to be bigger than just the one B&M employee. Sounds more like someone has an interest in driving panic sales of the remaining stock and making people think SG will be gone for good. It seems to be working too, people in those groups are already mass ordering like there's no tomorrow. cray
These kinds of rumors spread like wildfire on the interwebs. Some of them turn out to be the real deal (McClelland's for instance) but the majority of them usually die out after awhile.

Reactions: Ryszard