PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m sure it’s been covered before, sorry to beat a long dead horse, but I’m new to these Lakeland blends. I now have Ennerdale Flake, Firedance Flake, and Grousemoore. I’ve no experience with these blends, and I have two questions. 1) Will all of these blends ghost a pipe otherwise used for straight tobacco blends? I never smoke aromatics or heavily flavored tobaccos. 2) Could all of these various blends be smoked in the same pipe without ill effect? Or would these widely varying flavors amalgamate into a casserole of nonsense?
Basically I’m wondering if I should buy another pipe dedicated for these blends... my pipes now are dedicated Straight Va, Va/Per, 2 for Dark Fired flakes, English, and Balkan. I’d hate to muck up the dedicated pipes with something gooey and heavily flavored. Thanks for the help, gents.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Grousemoore from a freshly opened tin will be noticeable in a pipe for a few bowls afterwards, but in no ways is this a goopy blend - not an American or even German level of humectant from my experience. Granted, my tin is still from 2012 or so - I smoke a bowl of Grousemoore two or three times a year.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
The consensus I've seen is yes, these blends will definitely leave a ghost. If you're going to be smoking them regularly, I don't think it would hurt to have a pipe set aside for them. I use a cob for Lakelands.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Use a designated pipe for these blends. Ennerdale in particular will haunt anything it touches like a poltergeist.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The force is strong with the Lakeland, Luke. Dedicate a pipe to it.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Haha thanks a bunch, gentlemen! I’ve been wanting a Peterson Harp since I first got into pipes. Now I have a reason to buy one. It shall become my Lakeland implement

I have a few pipes that I dedicate to all Lakelands; however, I have found that cherry, vanilla, or just about any aromatic will leave a nasty ghost, especially if you accidentally smoke a straight Virginia in one afterwards. I have seven pipes dedicated to all aromatics also.
Most days, I would prefer a lakeland ghost to a fruity aromatic ghost. It kills me how those goopy fruity aromatics leave such a horrible room smell the next day, worse than an English or Virginia. Going back into a room a few hours after smoking an aromatic, smells like a grandpa farted, IMO. The pipes smell that way to me also.
So, we got dead grandma panties of Lakelenads, or old man farts of aromatics. YMMV

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
alaskanpiper I’m pleased to hear that you like yours! I had my eye on a couple of 15’s for many moons, sadly they all sold before I was ready to pull the trigger. I think a nice stout 106 will suffice for my needs, though not as stout as your 606. Something about that stem with the silver band and bowl stain just gets me. The Ashford is similar, and I usually LOVE army mounts, but somehow it doesn’t satisfy like the Harp does.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
there are strong Lakelands and then there are those where the 'aroma is less obvious and present,these lite' Lakelands(Glengarry Fl, Westmorland Fl, Rich dark Hoeydew and perhaps St Bruno ) in my opinion do not ghost pipes so fiercely if not smoked on a regular basis in one and the same pipe, agreed, after repeated bowls of the light Lakelands a faint floral side note might be distinguishable, smoking plain Burley blends or moist Coffee grounds in the bowls should help if one doesn't want any floral sidenotes to be found in his pipes

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I recently had some Grousemoor for the first time and I really enjoyed the subtle "lemongrass" essence, which is a little different from the other Lakelands I've had.
I'd be concerned that Ennerdale or another strong Lakeland might interfere with the enjoyment of that aspect of Grousemoor.
Maybe get a 7 day set of MM "seconds" to sort out the various nuances before stacking them all into one pipe. You might want a "light Lakeland" and a "heavy Lakeland" designator?
jay-roger.jpg

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
jay, wise words. I sort of hate cobs on principle because they are so ugly and unrefined, but perhaps it’s time to buy a couple to sample these blends in.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Yes - they will ghost a pipe quick. I have 1 dedicated to aro including Lakelands. But I've purged them from Ennerdale with no problem, so I wouldn't say it's the end of that pipe's versatility or anything. I have a 15 I would make you a deal with. I smoked it maybe 4 to 6 times, only VA and Vapers ever in it. It's an XL315 but not a Harp. PM me if interested.

nImEJ7N.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I agree. Orley sent me a sample of it, along with a pipe I bought.
However, this sample had several years on it. I'm interested in trying it fresh to see how much the sauce may have diminished with time.
But, yes, I did find it mild, unique and enjoyable, like a sunny afternoon drifting the shoals of a conquered land aboard the Black Frigate...
EDIT: Apparently, there's also a plug version? Maybe the difference in opinion concerning strength has something to do with the ribbon vs. the plug?
jay-roger.jpg

64alex

May 10, 2016
I am going against grain. If you clean the pipe after each smoke under running hot water for 60 seconds and then you wipe the bowl with a soft towel and run cleaners in the stem until they are clean, you are not going to have any ghost no matter what is the blend. The benefit of this is that for me a clean pipe smokes always the best but I have no intention to open a debate of cake vs no cake.

Said that you do absolutely fine if you dedicate pipes to certain blends.

Mar 1, 2014
As a huge fan of Ennerdale and Lakelands in general, I recommend buying a dedicated pipe for these blends (and then smoking everything out of your freshly ghosted pipe because it makes all your other tobaccos taste better).

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I bought an old Comoy's "Sunrise" Canadian shape with a tall narrow bowl on ebay last year. I found that I favor narrower bowls for Virginias which seems to be a common preference. Just seems to stay lit and burn better than in a wider bowl. Anyhow, it was strongly ghosted with a soapy floral Lakeland. Multiple rounds of salt and alcohol treatment followed by multiple bowls of codger burley eventually smoked that ghost out, and now it is a good Virginia pipe. I also use it to smoke Autumn Evening around the fall, which has ghosted the pipe just a little, but I enjoy getting the occasional hint of that maple sugar flavor sometimes and know to expect it from that pipe.
Bottom line, Lakelands are notorious ghost-makers. I would dedicate a pipe to the Lakeland genre, as others mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.