PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hmm, much to consider. I’ll probably buy that harp for Ennerdale and maybe put Firedance in it, too. If Grousemoore is fairly tame I think I could get away with the odd bowl every few months out of my straight VA pipe. I don’t mind a little lemon added to my Virginia’s.
And Alex, I appreciate the offer. I’m not particularly taken with those XL’s so I’ll have to pass, but I do appreciate a brother looking out. Best of luck on selling that one!
Thanks everybody for helping a newbie out. Left to my own devices I would’ve ghosted the shit out of a pipe and probably smoked them all out of the same one. I knew you all would have some good perspective on these Lakeland’s.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
My opinion on "Lakelands" has evolved over time - specifically the last 3 years or so.
Here's my take, for what it's worth. Yes, they ghost a pipe. No, I don't mind. I generally have a few briars that I smoke any Lakeland that strikes my fancy. One or two tend to be Ennerdale, Grousemoor, etc. because it just works for me. English / Balkans tend to be other pipes, but ... I'm not scared. I might just smoke Bob's in a pipe that has had English only or visa versa. I do have a few pipes that are VA flake only, but that's just me. Don't think I would mind a bit if one of my VA blends had a visit from the ghost of St. Bruno Past (and yes, I know, that's not a true Lakeland. Just saying.).
Ultimately, it's your piping experience, and you can do whatever the hell you want. There is a wealth of different opinions and none of them are right or wrong. I listen to all of them, experiment and do what I please. Sometimes it ends well, sometimes not so much, LOL.
I am smoking some Brown Flake Scented in a pipe that usually sees only Gawith Red or St. Bruno and ... it's fine. I'm digging it. Yup, it will probably "taint" the next pipe I smoke and maybe a few after that. Meh. Like them all, and to be honest I was a little surprised that I wanted to smoke this blend in this pipe. But I did it anyway. It will probably show up for a few pipes afterwards but that's okay.
On the other hand, I have a few pipes that I rarely use for anything other than straight VA and some for English blends. Can't say for sure I wouldn't smoke a Lakeland in them at this point. Not planning on it, but ... never say never.
Depends upon what you want to do, and not surprisingly, I'm a pipe smoker and therefore an arbitrary cuss and just do what I want. Shocking, I know, but ....
Good luck and enjoy your piping. :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.