PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Has anyone tried this one? I just ordered some based on my enjoyment of the cavendish in Top Black Cherry.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
I had never tried any Gawith and Hoggarth, and I wanted to try a rope twist. I ordered the Sweet Whiskey rope, and I added on an ounce of the Black & Brown, and got them in yesterdays' mail. I just put it in a jar and labeled it this morning, although I haven't tried it yet. It smells great.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks for the info. I hope you enjoy your first G and H tobacco they are my favorite blender. Glad to hear the B&B smells good. I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my order.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Yep, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love the B & B.
I did try the Sweet Whiskey rope. Kind of an odd smell that I'm not sure if I liked or not. This was my first experience with a rope, and I sliced off a few coins, rubbed them out and let them dry for a while. Mostly successful, although I think I'd let it dry out longer next time, as it was a little difficult to keep it burning (although that could have been due to my packing, as well.) Interesting taste--I think this is one I need to smoke a few times to really know what I think of it.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
When you get a chance to taste the B & B let me know what you think. When mine comes in I will post my impression as well. That Sweet Whiskey is supposed to pack some vitamin N. I hope the flavors come together when it is a bit dryer. Of the G & H ropes, I have only had the Brown Twist Sliced which was very tasty with some cigar notes. It was a non-aro, so straight tobacco flavor, and again the nicotine punch to the hiccup maker.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
An order came in from SP.com today. In it was 8 oz of Gawith & Hoggarth Black and Brown bulk. When I transferred it from the baggie to jars I had an opportunity to handle it and smell it. The cut is a fine ribbon and the smell was of vanilla, caramel, and tobacco. In the TR.com description they state that there is added vanilla, though SP does not mention it. The other tobacco that came to mind from the odor was Captain Black, though without the heavy chemical overtones. It is, as named, Black and Brown. The majority of the tobacco looks to be the excellent, fermented, cavendish that G&H also uses in Exclusive (Top) Black Cherry. I do not know how much of the caramel smell comes from the cavendish or was added as a topping. I dried and lit a bowl and it was a very mild and quite sweet. This reminds me of the way that tobacco shops used to smell. Something about the way it smokes and the flavor makes me think of it as old fashioned, American tobacco from the Lakelands of England. Very good stuff.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Just got around to trying some of mine, and I agree with you--mild, sweet and a bit old-fashioned. Not too heavily cased, and it has a great room note. This could become a favorite of mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.