PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cigars are the revenue streams for a lot of shops that sell pipes and cigars. The price of a premium tin of tobacco with about twenty bowls in it buys only one or two premium cigars. From the retailer's point of view, that is where the income is.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I've actually seen an increase pipes smokers over the past couple of years around where I live. I am not saying that pipes will replace vaping, but I don't see it ever going away. People are looking to recapture the old days and pipes will certainly deliver that experience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am intrigued that there seem to be at least hundreds, perhaps thousands, of artisan pipe carvers who maintain a presence online themselves or through online retailers. I think their customers are a wide range of people who don't fit any particular profile and don't socialize widely among themselves. Corporate law or muskrat trappers, Omaha cops and dot-com magnates. Likewise, there appears to be a whole unconnected demographic of factory pipe smokers. The fact that the market exists at all is a sort of surprise and hard to track, as the thread shows.

cigrmaster says there is "no hope in site," which I think is a good unintentional pun.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I am not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, I apologize if so.
I find it rather fascinating that the Smoking Pipes Anniversary Peterson pipes sold out in what 2 days? 80 pipes at $200 plus per pipe and a less than stellar recent reputation. Impressive.

Jan 15, 2020
Houston, TX
Pipe cleaners are more craft, hobby, utility items. Idk if that would be a good meter.
Actually i cant really think of a good measure.

Except for a guy i used to see by my building, (I live in a seniors bldg) who claimed to only own one pipe at a time and only smoked carter hall. i dont think there is a pipe smoker that doesnt have more than the pipes and tobacco they need.

How many pipes and how much tobacco do you actually need to be a pipe smoker anyway.

I think fears about vaping might have a short term slightly positive effect on the number of pipe smokers.
Vaper myself trying to transition to the pipe.

Reactions: briarbuck and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I am not sure if anyone mentioned this yet, I apologize if so.
I find it rather fascinating that the Smoking Pipes Anniversary Peterson pipes sold out in what 2 days? 80 pipes at $200 plus per pipe and a less than stellar recent reputation. Impressive.
From what I can tell Peterson pipes are more popular than ever.

their recent rep is great. It’s years ago they had problems. And these problems are debatable.

Reactions: briarbuck
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
In my town of 15000 there was one tobacco store.. mostly just cigars. My stepson and I stopped by last month, they had converted to a malt liquor store. I bought the last pouch of pipe tobacco, and i wished i hadn't. It was just tobacco dust. Furthermore i cannot find a real pipe cleaner anywhere here. Just the arts and crafts type. I said all that to say, looks like there is zero demand for pipes here. The cbd and vape shops seem to be staying alive.. those I will never enter.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
People lament the decline of B&M stores due to the increase in online sales, but it is important to remember that online sales are actually making it possible for pipe smoking to survive.

The internet allows pipe makers and online shops to reach customers in distant parts of the globe that otherwise would not be sustainable to cater to. The global market for pipes and tobacco is large enough as long as you are able to reach customers everywhere.

I believe that this is one of the things that Laudisi knows how to do well, which is why they have expanded into owning tobacco and pipe manufacturers.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not sure if it's on topic but cosmicfolklore made me think if we want to make pipe smoking popular we can do what the bottled water industry did. We find out how many grams a person smokes on average and then call it a daily recommended amount. You know like that 8 glasses of water a day b.s. that people got shoved down their throat, when the 8 glasses was just the average amount of water a person consumed in a day from all sources (water, tea, coffee, and even water content of food).

Reactions: briarbuck
Jun 23, 2019
I know there's definitely a resurgence in the younger demographic in the US. I've seen about 3/4 lunters (and not just the hobos either ?) in the city in the last year, so it's definitely picking up.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
In the 40’s, 59’s and 60’s if you went anywhere one out of every 5 guys were smoking a pipe.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Depending on the city & state, that same statistic likely applies today - except it’s a glass bowl with weed...ya know, ”legal now and all...”

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Dunno about the US, however in Greece I saw one guy on the street 6 months ago, there's also an older guy in my neighbourhood who is pretty much always outside on his porch smoking a pipe while reading or doing garden work, there are usually 2-3 pipes on his table. I also saw an elderly businessman while waiting to board a flight to London, he had his briefcase open and there were three nice bulldogs inside. Made me warm inside!

Reactions: tobefrank
Status
Not open for further replies.