PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I've read how shortages of many blends + the increased cost of pipes are an indicator of increased demand and popularity of piping. I am not sure that this is the case. Collectors are buying the supply of tobacco and driving prices up.

There have to be other ways to gauge if the industry is increasing or deceasing in popularity other than shortages of FVF and prices of Rad's pipes doubling.

Perhaps a better indication of the health of the pipe industry may be....sales of pipe cleaners? People don't collect cleaners, they just use them. More cleaners sold would be a good indication that more pipes are being smoked.

IMHO accessories may be a better indicator than availability of tobacco.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
Pipe cleaners are more craft, hobby, utility items. Idk if that would be a good meter.
Actually i cant really think of a good measure.

Except for a guy i used to see by my building, (I live in a seniors bldg) who claimed to only own one pipe at a time and only smoked carter hall. i dont think there is a pipe smoker that doesnt have more than the pipes and tobacco they need.

How many pipes and how much tobacco do you actually need to be a pipe smoker anyway.

I think fears about vaping might have a short term slightly positive effect on the number of pipe smokers.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think this would be very hard to track because you might have one customer that buys a ridiculous amount of tobacco and another that buys very little. Maybe they both smoke the same amount..
maybe the one with all the tobacco has 1 pipe and the guy with little tobacco has 100?
so many variables etc.

and numbers of customers is a hard thing too.. I'm sure there are plenty who smoke a pipe who haven't ordered from smokingpipes in years.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I enjoy the hobby, but I also am interested in the dynamics of the pipe marketplace. I like trying to understand how the business side works...because that's what I do. In business you look for indicators and trends. "I saw 2 guys down and Joes and now there's 3" is not market research.

My best guess is that pipe accessories could give you broader market trends because they are less subject to hoarders.

Marketing amazes me. It has so much power. At one point in time, when gas stations had free coffee... everywhere had free coffee, I would have sworn that you would never get someone to spend over $0.50 for a cup... nor, ever stand in line to get it. But...

Water, I would never have dreamed that someone could sell it to people, much less EVERYONE.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hesitate to say it, but early adaptors of any trend tend to be exhibitionistic and prone to public performances, so if pipes have some kind of precipitous increase in popularity, the early adaptors of the trend will be out in public and in your face and most probably decidedly annoying. Sorry, but that is sort of the way it works. Watch for men in berets and women in top hats, wearing stripes and plaids together, and walking their pet armadillos.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
As an inconclusive but interesting data point, it’s been almost a year since I placed my first order at SP.com. The order numbers imply they’ve filled 180,000 orders in about the last year. That’s way more than I expected. It’s a good business even if the average order value is small.

I suppose they may have a check digit on that order number and it’s 18,000 orders in a year. More reasonable, I suppose.

I find it interesting that I know so little about the industry, I can’t tell which order of magnitude fits the amount of orders Laudisi fills.

the early adaptors of the trend will be out in public and in your face and most probably decidedly annoying.
Not really. To get people to spend as much for a bottle water as they would a soda, all they had to do is put it in the stores. And, I saw them open up a Starbucks, long before I ever saw a commercial for them. It doesn't take much to sway the masses. And, actually the number 1 marketing tool for pipesmoking in general... IS US. On HERE. I think most people see this forum long before they ever see the smokingpipes website. This is why I think P&C screwed the pooch by dropping us... if this is what they did.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Marketing amazes me. It has so much power. At one point in time, when gas stations had free coffee... everywhere had free coffee, I would have sworn that you would never get someone to spend over $0.50 for a cup... nor, ever stand in line to get it. But...

Water, I would never have dreamed that someone could sell it to people, much less EVERYONE.
Marketing these days is easy as compared to the free coffee days. Back then it was billboards radio and Newspaper. Now you just pay Amazon, Facebook and google a bunch of $$$$. :)

Reactions: BROBS
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Purchases in the past year from large retailers is not much of an indicator. I'd wager more people than ever are aware of and believing, to some extent, the tobacco apocolypse. So the numbers look more positive on retail sales because people are not just purchasing for immediate needs.

I doubt at any time there's more than 1500 people at the Chicago pipe show. Even if that number is 2500, what does it say if the world's largest pipe show has a maximum of 2500 people in attendance at any single moment?

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just being realistic. We're a bunch of freaking dinosaurs. Nothing wrong with that either. In fact, given the tobacco supply at present, if pipe smoking were rapidly growing, you wouldn't be able to fit a can of Captain Black for $100.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i haven't seen anyone with a pipe since i don't know when. local b&m i go to for this and that usually has no customer. so it's either no one's smoking pipe or i'm missing out on something special.

Reactions: briarbuck and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.