PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snakeseye

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
Hello,
I received a NOS James Upshall pipe I bought from Ebay today,
I've been trying to figure out where to place it on the timeline of JU's history.
I know there are sketchy things done in the more modern history of JU, and I am hoping this is not kind of throwaway random pipe stamped JU to make profit.
I have read a lot of the document with the things Ken Barnes said here on the forum, but I still struggle to understand where to place my pipe.
I would be very thankful if any of you can help me get more information about the pipe and any relevant JU history.
one thing that stood out to me, other than the cumberland stem and the freehand swirly bowl, is that I don't see hand made Tilshead stamp (I saw Ken Barnes said he only seen 1 JU pipe without that stamp in the document) the box it came in also says Tilshead.
The shank is drilled a bit high, and the slot has some kind of defect.
draw seems decent.
I would of course provide more information photos or information if needed.
Thank you very much for every potential help!

Attachments

• photo_2024-07-30_19-24-07.jpg
    photo_2024-07-30_19-24-07.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240730_192034.jpg
    IMG_20240730_192034.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240730_192045.jpg
    IMG_20240730_192045.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240730_192113.jpg
    IMG_20240730_192113.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20240730_192134.jpg
    IMG_20240730_192134.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240730_192147.jpg
    IMG_20240730_192147.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240730_192150.jpg
    IMG_20240730_192150.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20240730_192343.jpg
    IMG_20240730_192343.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20240730_193929.jpg
    IMG_20240730_193929.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240730_193943.jpg
    IMG_20240730_193943.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I’m no Upshall expert, by any means. But I can’t believe that pipe left the factory with that slot in the stem……. I know Upshall’s quality suffered near the end but damn……. That’s horrible.

Reactions: Snakeseye

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
This is the first Upshall I've seen with the Cumberland stem; you'd think it was fake but then there's the brand on it that looks original...

Reactions: Snakeseye
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
This is the first Upshall I've seen with the Cumberland stem; you'd think it was fake but then there's the brand on it that looks original...

My Upshall from the Empire Series has a Cumberland stem (I’ve seen others with them).

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy

This is the second Upshall I've seen with the Cumberland stem (lol)

I have to say that the Cumberland suits the Upshall very well.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I’m no Upshall expert, by any means. But I can’t believe that pipe left the factory with that slot in the stem……. I know Upshall’s quality suffered near the end but damn……. That’s horrible.
Yes, it is horrible. Yet I believe this is an original Upshall stem. I own quite some and on most the stems are sloppy and the slots look similar to this one. They were not known for making excellent quality stem work.
The OP's pipe; around 1981 the engraved JU shank logo changed to a stamped one (correct me if I'm wrong ). This looks like an engraved one to me.. There's damage to the slot, could very well be of factory.

Snakeseye

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2021
Israel
Hello everyone!
I appreciate each and every answer, I am sorry it took me so long to come back and thank you for the information.
For sure, it’s a nice pipe. FWIW, the bit and stem look genuine. I’m not an expert, but I’d say it’s the real McCoy and call it a day.
thanks! that's good to hear.
I will be honest, it's not as horrible as it looks, it's sloppy and not good of course, but rather than having a chunk missing like I think the photos suggest, it seems like there's some extra material on the button.
no Idea how that happens but that's how it feels. after cleaning it and smoking it I think some of that hardened material even came out, but some is there to stay unless I sand it off. luckily it doesn't effect the smoking or causes any discomfort while using the pipe.
it still bothers me a bit because of the way I am, but I'm learning to accept it as it is.
Could be the reason it was unsold. Got damaged for some reason, and the box got stuck in a corner somewhere.
possibly! who knows, I asked the Ebay seller if he has any more info about the pipe, they were very kind but didn't really know anything about it's history or story.

you would think that it has been replaced, but then there is the JU brand on top which seems original (maybe it's written better this way)

what makes the JU seem original to you?

My Upshall from the Empire Series has a Cumberland stem (I’ve seen others with them).

love that shape, very nice pipe. did you get it on Ebay? I kind of remember seeing it up there and considering it. I do not know if they made a lot of that shape of course.

Yes, it is horrible. Yet I believe this is an original Upshall stem. I own quite some and on most the stems are sloppy and the slots look similar to this one. They were not known for making excellent quality stem work.
The OP's pipe; around 1981 the engraved JU shank logo changed to a stamped one (correct me if I'm wrong ). This looks like an engraved one to me.. There's damage to the slot, could very well be of factory.
That is great to know, especially when you compare it to your own and see similarities, that the stem is probably original.
Honestly the slot thing is of course bad, but other aspects about this stem actually seem nicer than a lot of JU pipes I seen with fishtail stems, to my eye of course. (the way it fits and flushes, and the angle and flow of the shape of the stem).
how can you tell if the logo is engraved or stamped? I read about it mentioned as a thing but I did not know what is the difference in appearance or how to tell which is which.
I believe the FH stamp came into use after Ken Barnes left, if that helps.
I think you are right this was made after he left, I think I read Ken Barnes saying they only added the size to the nomenclature (in this case the EXL) in the 90's or some other time after he left.

In general, another strange thing about this pipe is that it doesn't' seem to have the made in England Tilshed stamp at all. only the James Upshall engraving on the left side of the shank.
I also think I remember Ken commenting about someone's JU pipe, saying it's the first time he saw one without that stamp, and it's mostly likely just human error and someone forgot to stamp it, but who knows what happened.

I will also add, the pipe smokes pretty good, so far.I am guessing the fact the drilling in the shank is not completely aligned with the airway of the stem does effect the smoking of it negatively a bit.
but I will say the briar feels very very good and of high quality, both in properties and flavour.

Thanks again everyone.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The latter stamp was done by laser engraving, if I'm not mistaken.