PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Finally I can write something REALLY good about Washington, besides its beauty.
Currently in the area I live in there is a gas war going on. I paid $2.81.9 per gallon this morning (that was with my 20 cent discount at Fred Meyers). Not all places in the state are experiencing this, but for what it's worth - HURRAY!!!!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I remember when I used to pay like $1.50 when I first started driving and then it shot up to $4.00 from like $1.80 and back down to $2.50 or so, ever since then I have thanked God for keeping it below $4.00 but at the same time I can't shake the words my father had said. "If you want to find a motive, always look at where the money is going." "The reason the gas prices were allowed to rise to $4.00 is so that when it goes down to $2.50 or $3.00 people will just think about how much cheaper the gas costs, instead of about how little they used to pay for it." Smart man, very cynical (I'm not that way at all), but very smart.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Eric they have been doing that in Canada for years. Gas goes up and down like a yo-yo so you get used to it always eventually going up. Gas here is 1.25 per litre. Theres aprox 3.8 litres in an Imperial gallon. So we have been getting screwed for years!

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
America has always been like a pit bull when it comes to gas, and us Americans have been very spoiled with gas prices. Very few developed countries like our own can claim that even low class citizens can afford to drive, while we treat it like a right, but then I still think the microwave is the greatest gift science has ever given us, magic in a box :)

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
OK, when I started driving in 1969 gas was $.29/gallon. In college it went to $0.64/gallon and then exploded after the two contrived shortages. Look at the taxes on gas when you're att he pump and you'll see where the price is. All I know is that gas here in Pa is at $3.29/gal and 5 years ago it was $1.85/gal. I suck it up and pay but I don't feel lucky or spoiled.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I can't shake the words my father had said. "If you want to find a motive, always look at where the money is going." "The reason the gas prices were allowed to rise to $4.00 is so that when it goes down to $2.50 or $3.00 people will just think about how much cheaper the gas costs, instead of about how little they used to pay for it."
+1 ... The entire modern age of oil and gasoline is one gigantic fraud. Artificial scarcity...production and prices manipulated by corporate/government collusion...suppression of the development of alternative energies and technologies...wars and entire countries engineered to perpetuate the fraud.
And here we are in the year 2013 still using the internal combustion engine and feeling like we’re getting some kind of deal if we get to pay under $3/gallon for gas...and paying more for an automobile than people did for a house just a few decades ago.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I work at a gas station in Nebraska, and would be inclined to look at what you are getting (quality-wise) in the cheap gas. Nebraska and Iowa are apparently among the last states to change how gasoline is piped in and blended. Until a month ago I could drive past gas stations and pretty much tell from their pricing what blends they were offering, but not now. Gasoline is piped to the distributors at 84 octane, which is below useable level for motor vehicles. It is the blended to raise the octane level. The new lowest (which I just discovered today) is 85 octane made by blending 84 octane with ethanol. A bit further up in price is 87 octane made by adding 10% ethanol. Further still is 89 octane made by adding more ethanol. Highest is 91 octane (premium) made by blemding the 84 octane with higher octane gasoline (no ethanol). My station is selling the 87E10 and an 87 Clear which is made by blending the 84 octane with the 91 octane). My point is that you may wish to know the octane level you are getting at the pump and whether it contains ethanol. The question of ethanol in gasoline is a whole different topic.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
The lowest price I remember for gas was 19.9 cents/gal. I will be going to Isla Margarita in Jan. and I hear their gas is 19.9/gal.
On a side note:
I still think the microwave is the greatest gift science has ever given us, magic in a box.
IMHO the greatest invention is the snow blower. While I was living in the Colorado mountains, one week we had 122 inches of snow. I ran the snow blower three times a day for a week and ran out of places to throw the durn white stuff.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Well said Eric and Brian64.
I ride a bicycle most days commuting to and from work and for errands around town year around. I chose to be an example of the solution and not part of the problem. The advantages to bikes are too numerous to mention. I am not anti-car/oil. I do have a car and a couple motorcycles. By commuting by pedal power a tank of gas lasts me two weeks sometimes 3 weeks. For that reason I don't pay much attention to the up-down swing of gas prices. If there's a blizzard raging or it's pouring rain I'll drive. What makes me happy is I am seeing more and more people even in my small town riding bikes which is nice because more bikes raises driver's awareness. They have long been popular in the bigger cities. (Now if we can just get the masses to put down their cell phones while behind the wheel, I know I know It'll Never happen.)

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
I still think the microwave is the greatest gift science has ever given us, magic in a box.
Yes the microwave is a great appliance but where would we all be without the WWW?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I paid $1.21 per litre today, which is cheap, and that translates to $4.60 per gallon before the exchange rate. I routinely pay $1.30 per litre which is $4.91 per litre. We are the second largest exporter of oil to the United States and we pay significantly more than you do for the oil we sell you. Don't get me started, it just pisses me off. No collusion my ass, every gas station in the city of Toronto sells gas for the exact same price.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Yes the microwave is a great appliance but where would we all be without the WWW?
Oh yes, please forgive me, the computer, true magic in a box! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.