PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Stopped at a garage sale this morning and came across this, A Canadian Club Texas Micky with the Canadian Club holder.

There was also a Seagrams Texas Micky I picked up. I already had one of these with the pump on top.

The Seagrams one has about 2" of alcohol left in the bottom and the seal is dated 1976. I poured some into a glass and it smelled ok but I don't know if I should drink it or not !!!!
Mark

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a bottle of Pussers Rum that is nearly 30 years old. It was missing about an inch or so when I got it. Fully sealed. I opened it and have been sampling it for years. Good stuff.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I'm with the seacaptain, might aswell be whisky with paint thinner in it..

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
After whisky leaves the cask / barrel, it stops ageing. A 15 year old scotch bottled in 1972 will still only be 15 years old if it is opened in 2015.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I'll add this. The bottle I got was from a friend who received it as a gift and he didn't drink. It was in his shop for years on a shelf, so no concerns there.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I once tried a lot of different whiskys trying to find which I liked better. Amassed quite a lot of different bottles over a couple years, and would drink from them occasionally, but then I moved. They were stored in an extra closet, partially full.

About 7 or 8 years latter I decided to sample them again, and found that 42 of the bottles out of the 60, were undrinkable. Tasted nasty. I found that once air enters the bottle, it starts to break down certain things in the whisky, and that was why they tasted horrible. I never thought that whisky could go bad. Why the other bottles weren't affected, I don't know.

Anyway, I took them outside and dumped them onto the gravel driveway, and threw a match on the little pool. It burned away, but the smell lasted for several days. I wouldn't drink what's left if I were you.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Yea I don't think I'm going to drink it.

I've got some brush in the burn pit, I think I'll use it to start the fire.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.