PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
Tonight was a relatively cool night where I live in Arizona, at least compared to normal temps for this time of year. It struck me as the right kind of night to finally open up and smoke the tin of Maltese Falcon that I picked up a few couple weeks ago. Having just recently discovered the absolute and undeniable perfection that is Windjammer from G.L. Pease I had high expectations. Perhaps a little bit too high...

Tin note was pleasant. I picked up the typical Cyprian latakia aroma, a very light sweetness, a bit of earth, and some very light floral scents as well. I packed a bowl into a new MM Morgan cob (great little cob for quicker smokes) and stepped out through my sliding glass door and onto my back patio to light up. The first bit of smoke I got was quite sweet and surprisingly floral/herbal. After that I started getting the latakia, which was smoky, earthy, and somewhat lighter then I was expecting. The latakia would fade out quickly leaving me with more of a woody, herbal flavor. At the end of many of my exhales I noticed a little bit of a sweet and occasionally sour taste skate across my tongue. Towards the middle of the bowl all the of the flavors started to meld together for me and I mostly tasted smoky latakia, followed shortly by a very faint, light sweetness. The tobacco burned reasonably even and was a tad on the slower side. I did observe my pipe got a little warm, but never too hot to handle. The tobacco produced some immensely thick white plumes of smoke and was silky smooth on the tongue. Can't gage room note as I smoke outside, but I imagine its quite English smelling.

I would have to say that overall it was a good smoke. I found it be a little bit different, but not a huge departure from any of the other English blends I have smoked. I think I was expecting to have Maltese Falcon blow me away, or at least have some sort of wow factor for me, but it didn't blow me away and I wasn't really wow'd. It is without a doubt a good English and I'll definitely smoke the rest of it. When I purchased this blend I got two tins. I am planning of on sitting on the unopened tin for a while, letting it age up and revisiting it. Would I recommend this blend ? Certainly. Is this an all day smoke? Maybe for you, but not for me.

I would love to hear some opinions on how Maltese Falcon stacks up to other G.L. Pease English blends. I might find one of those to be more up my alley. Thanks

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I may be misremembering, but isn't Maltese Falcon one that will be discontinued in the future? I seem to recall this one being omitted from the big list that circulated around of blends that would survive the deeming FDA regs. I'll have to look for that thread later.

Reactions: eljimmy

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I may be misremembering, but isn't Maltese Falcon one that will be discontinued in the future? I seem to recall this one being omitted from the big list that circulated around of blends that would survive the deeming FDA regs. I'll have to look for that thread later.
I'd like to see that list

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is fn crazy. I'll have to see what I need to stock up on. I recently fell out of love with Latakia and I have mostly blends that are Latakia forward. Do you know if there is an actual list floating around?
There have been lists posted here over the past five years but haven't heard any updates on which ones have been submitted. Truthfully, for a complete list you're probably looking at a couple of thousand blends. One helpful thing is to look at the tobacco reviews site and see if the earliest reviews for a blend predate 2007.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I would love to see this list

Reactions: kcghost

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I would love to see this list
I've never seen a complete one. It would include likely a couple of thousand blends since 2007.

After thinking about it some...the "master list" I was recalling to mind was for all of the blends that the FDA had received application submittals on, which meant that those since 2007 that weren't on the list were likely to go away in the future. The list was very comprehensive and was alphabetized by brand and then blend and was hundreds if not thousands of line items long.

The list was posted here on the forum. When I get some time I'll try and find it.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
The list was posted here on the forum. When I get some time I'll try and find it.

This is what I was referring to --

Deemed New Tobacco Product Applications Lists - https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/market-and-distribute-tobacco-product/deemed-new-tobacco-product-applications-lists#list%20of%20deemed

Reactions: chopper

PipesRock

Jan 21, 2020
Florida
For me several Pease blends, particularly Quiet Nights and Maltese Falcon, had a chemical note and/or not blended flavors upon opening and smoking. Opening the tin and shelving it a few weeks to a month significantly melded the flavors and produced wonderful smokes.

Reactions: kcghost and dmcmtk