PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Just ordered some of this stuff based on reviews and it seems like a really interesting baccy.

I have never smoked a plug before and actually pretty excited to try this.

Any advice would be great and also what can I expect out of this ?

Looking into getting a knife to cut this stuff as well

Nothing too expensive, It’s my first time after all

I’ve already set aside a nice little wooden cutting board to chop this up on

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Most people love it but I think it tastes like someone raked up their yard leaves and added latakia.
As far as the mechanics, it doesn't rub out well (what yard leaves do? :) ), so it might be best to cut it in small cubes. Other people probably have better advice though.

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
I've got a four year old tin of this stuff, must remember to open it soon. Would love to hear more opinions good or bad. I have had 3P's plug, ok but Revour is the king of plugs IMO. Grab yourself an Opinel if you want a good but cheap knife, I would use a steel on it every time it's been used.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Haven't tried 3 P's - I don't like Burley blends at all though.
Not sure what your English tobacco preferences are, or what you've tried but I've found Dunhill 965 to be the best by far. Nightcap is good too for an extra kick. Every other English I've tried has been...meh.
Let us know how you like Gaslight. I don't recall anyone on the forum except myself not liking it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The first instruction I had on smoking plug is to cut it down through the layers, don't peel the layers off the top. Boy, I'm embarrassed to say it, or write it, but it's first things first. The little Optimal (sp?) French pocket knife with a carbon steel blade is the best deal for a plug cutter, since you can spend any amount of money on folding (or other) knives. But that one sharpens up well and does the job. If you want to go fancier, I'd get something else in carbon steel -- not as pretty, but sharpens like a razor. I've had a tin of Gaslight on the cabinet top for several years. Tell me how it goes. Tempt me. My first plug was Triple Play, and it is excellent.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I was going to post about cutting through the layers, but Mso489 summed it up good. I gifted my friend a tin of this for his birthday. I assumed that he’d slice through the layers like we had done on previous smokes from a tin I had. Well I was wrong, I went over to his place and found him peeling layers and stuffing it into his pipe....

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
Peterson's 3p is excellent . It has a great grassy smell . The plug is very dense and moist . Cut into very thin flakes , rub out and let dry for 20 mins . it has a decent nic hit. ENJOY!

Jun 27, 2016
seacaptain
Let us know how you like Gaslight. I don't recall anyone on the forum except myself not liking it.
I wasn't a big fan when I tried it fresh, so I sold it off, though later I thought that I should have kept a hunk around to age. Almost bought another tin to see, but had already decided that I like Odyssey better, and didn't see Gaslight overtaking it in my book, even with age on the Gaslight.
:puffy:

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Both are great.... although as embers suggests, Gaslight is a dry-smoking Lat.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
ee4Ukrc.jpg

9qABlIe.jpg

I Love both! Both are cellared very deep in my house. I actually “chew” Peterson 3 P’s. But then again I chew a lot of plugs. And yes, I mean like snuff/dip. 3 P’s is a great nic hit.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Like chewing tobacco. Think Copenhagen or Kodiak. I chew plugs often, especially when on the water fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.