PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Gaslight cuts and rubs out easily so no fears there. As with other flakes the size of the cut and degree of the rub affect the smoke.
I find it to be rich, round and smooth. Despite the healthy amount of Latakia it is not imbalanced. One of my favorites but it definitely will not be everyone’s cup of tea.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
3938e95a-3fe0-4656-9824-dabe2218e3f7-600x450.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
GLP Gaslight is a little different than most plugs I've tried. I follow Greg's advice, thin slice Gaslight and then gravity fill. It's really easy to pack Gaslight too tight. I never could get a chunky cut to pack correctly. Don't even try fold and stuff.

Yeh, 3Ps and Gaslight are going to be very different things, in texture, cut-ability, and prep. I got it because at the time people were comparing it to Penzance, but I found it to be a very dry, earthy, almost a dirty taste, not to bring up the seacaptain's yard raking metaphor, but yeh. It is one of the few lat bombs that I can smoke, and it does have some interesting nuances and shifts in flavors. But, even with a ton of latakia, there will always be someone who says...

latbombmeme.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Most Lat Blends taste dry to me. Probably because I dry them out. :rofl:
Gaslight almost taste like it has a bit of perique, which always intrigued me. It's also a complex smoke in my opinion, for all the Latakia in it.

Mar 1, 2014
Cosmic how did you find a picture of me?

I’ve found that pure Latakia tasts bland, maybe that’s just what you get buying blending Lat and the good stuff is never sold in bulk, but as far as I can tell the flavor from most Latakia blends actually comes from other Orientals.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I am another who does not like Gaslight. I am actually close to hating it. I can never get it to burn right. When I dry it out it is so harsh it is unsmokeable but when I leave it moist I have to constantly relight it and it is still harsh. To me it tastes like a mouthful of dirt, very earthy, abrasive and harsh. There is something in it that dries out my throat too. I jarred my tin since 2013 and this week I tried again but I got the same results even after almost 5 years of aging. I am going to try to slice it ultra thing to give it another try but I have zero issues smoking Pirate Kake, Old Ironsides, Penzance, Plum Pudding or any of the Captain Earl blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.