PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hello Pipers!

I received my SPC Newsletter today and for those that might not get it, wanted to share with you, over two G.L. Pease Anniversary Release Tins, in limited edition, Cumberland and Samaria.

All I can say is this looks amazing, for me especially the Samarra.

I feel like Samarra is the type of thing that only comes around limited, or like those special Vintage tins, what do you all think?

————————————

"I strive to produce blends that coalesce into an experience that engages the smoker, that holds their attention, and that offers an evolving smoke from beginning to end, because a bowl of tobacco connects us to the past like nothing else." - Gregory Pease

————————————

For 20 years, Gregory Pease has applied this idea to every blend he's developed. From the archetypal tobaccos of the Classic Collection to the nostalgic mixtures of the Heirloom Series, his portfolio encompasses a host of blends celebrated in every corner of the globe. Be it a spicy Virginia/Perique or a smooth, silky English blend, each of Greg's creations captures a moment in time, a shared experience accessible by all who possess a pipe and a flame.

To celebrate the 20th Anniversary of G.L. Pease, Greg chose to enhance those smoking experiences he has already developed with special-edition adaptations of his most popular and storied mixtures: Samarra and Cumberland.

Samarra 20th Anniversary:
One of the first blends Pease released in 2000, Samarra is a refinement of a blend Greg originally developed for Drucquer & Sons in the 1980s called Sublime Porte. For this special anniversary edition, Greg has elevated the mixture by incorporating a blend of vintage Basma, Samsun, and Black Sea Soukhoum Orientals into the original recipe. According to Greg, "the 20th-Anniversary edition offers deep additional layers of incense-like spice, a distinctive earthiness, and an almost Sherry-like creaminess." It possesses all the signature qualities that have made Samarra a cellar-worthy staple, but with more nuance and complexity courtesy of these rare varietals.

Cumberland 20th Anniversary:
Another blend close to Greg's heart, Cumberland was originally released in April of 2002. For this special anniversary edition, Pease has incorporated small-crop, semi-fired Kentucky leaf from 2019 for a slightly softer, more delicate profile. Maintaining the original's signature plum-like fruitiness and complexity, it presents additional flavors of baking spice, sweet grassiness, and freshly baked bread. "It's really remarkable, so similar to the original, but different enough to stand on its own, and it will age beautifully."

In many ways, these unique expressions represent Greg's signature approach to blending: "a pursuit of purity and quality of ingredients, care and precision in blending balance, and complexity." The singular profiles of these special-edition blends highlight the ingenuity of the original recipes and underline the history of tobacco that inspires all of Greg's creations.

Celebrate 20 years of G.L. Pease tobaccos with these special, anniversary editions of Samarra and Cumberland today, available in limited quantities, only at Smokingpipes.com.

P.S. The Bold Gold words are active links you can click to go SPC’s site!

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Thanks for the heads up! Here are a couple of great reviews from JimInks about them. They do look good!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'd had Samarra on my to-try list for a while, so I'll have to try and grab a tin or two. Cumberland is a good smoke too, but for me, it suffers by comparison to JackKnife, which I had before Cumberland. Similar to how I felt about Gaslight, when I first tried it after having smoked a tin of Spark Plug. I am kind of curious about the semi-fired KY, though, so might grab a tin of that one as well.

Reactions: jaytex1969
Jan 27, 2020
I had my first bowl of this today, fine smoke but nothing all that special, reminded me of a less heady Ahab's Comfort.

Reactions: 3rdguy

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I liked what I smoked of it. The original has a much stronger Dark Fired leathery feel while the aniversary was more mild and had an allspice bakery feel. At least that's what I was able to notice. It is definitely subtle.

It is a good example of how a blend following the same recipe can change based on a minor difference in one component.

Status
Not open for further replies.