PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
So, @ashdigger bombed me a few weeks ago with his overwhelming generosity but due to circumstances I had not been able to try the G&H twists until this past week.

Sweet Whiskey, Sweet Rum, and Coconut were the twists I was able to try this week and I must say, I really like the flavors! It took me awhile to figure out the right way to prepare the twists, but once I got it loaded and lit the tobacco was delightful. Rum is my favorite but they were all smooth with an exceptional room note and no bite. My cadence needed to be adjusted a bit and I found that once I cut the twist that I benefited by letting it dry some.
Tim, thank you so much for the samples! Now I have to find these unicorns before they sell out!

For those of you who've tried these twists, let me know your thoughts!

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
Give Happy Brown Bogie and the Maple Twist a try. Hopefully with Laudisi taking over distribution inventory will eventually be plentiful. Luckily I have some ropes and other G&H tobaccos in the cellar to last me a little bit.

Most people shat on Lakelands for a time and now they seem to never be in stock regularly. I welcome the next tobacco fad for my own selfishness.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Love the twists. Ash also bombed me a few months ago with samples of a number of these, and I think Sweet Maple and Coconut are my favorites. Just a hint of the aromatic flavoring on top of some excellent strong and full flavored tobacco.

I like to take a cigar cutter, cut off a couple of thin coins, and rub them out. Then I let the tobacco dry for 30-60 minutes and smoke it in one of the two small Petersons that Ash specifically gifted me for smoking these blends. Great stuff! They're all excellent, and they make fantastic end-of-the-day smokes.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The Gawith flavoured twists are a sublime smoke. I'm liking the cherry, apple and aromatic ones most at the moment but they're all great.
I'd like to try the whiskey one but it isn't in stock anywhere in the UK.

Looking on tobaccoreviews.com you can see the flavours they did in the past and some of them I'd love to get my hands on, especially the brandy version.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I want to like these but for some reason the flavoring is so faint that it hardly come through in taste throughout and even through the smell passed the first 20 seconds.

I want to like these but for some reason the flavoring is so faint that it hardly come through in taste throughout and even through the smell passed the first 20 seconds.
That is exactly what I like about them. I don't think I would enjoy a coconut flavor throughout my smoke, but once it gets going, I get that rich tobacco flavor that I prefer over the coconut crap scent. And, actually, if I could wash off that scent before I smoked it, I would. I just had to buy the scented stuff, because their unscented ropes tend to sell out too fast.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
That is exactly what I like about them. I don't think I would enjoy a coconut flavor throughout my smoke, but once it gets going, I get that rich tobacco flavor that I prefer over the coconut crap scent. And, actually, if I could wash off that scent before I smoked it, I would. I just had to buy the scented stuff, because their unscented ropes tend to sell out too fast.
For me Brown Bogie isn’t too bad but not something I want to smoke much of. I like their other strong tobaccos but not the ropes. I love the ropes they make for Synjeco but for me the ropes they send to the US just don’t work.

I’m not saying people that like them are wrong of course. I wish the flavoring of these ropes came through stronger the way their flakes are scented, that way I could have a different experience, one that I may thoroughly appreciate.

Reactions: northernpipeshed

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
For me Brown Bogie isn’t too bad but not something I want to smoke much of. I like their other strong tobaccos but not the ropes. I love the ropes they make for Synjeco but for me the ropes they send to the US just don’t work.

I’m not saying people that like them are wrong of course. I wish the flavoring of these ropes came through stronger the way their flakes are scented, that way I could have a different experience, one that I may thoroughly appreciate.
I know what you mean..... I'm not a big fan of Gawith stuff in general... (shame as I live in the UK).... but the flakes are scented different to the flakes. For what it's worth..... they are made about 60 miles from where I live!

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I like all of the SG and G&H ropes and have a decent supply of most of them. Brown #4, Black XX, Brown Bogie, Brown Irish Twist, Black Irish Twist, Coconut, Rum and Whiskey. I haven't tried the Maple and I'm leary of the Dark Cherry.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
I know what you mean..... I'm not a big fan of Gawith stuff in general... (shame as I live in the UK).... but the flakes are scented different to the flakes. For what it's worth..... they are made about 60 miles from where I live!
Lucky you! I don’t want to give the wrong idea. Gawith both SG and G&H are my favorite manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.