G&H Rich Dark Honeydew (EU Spring Dew): a New Appreciation.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I bought an ounce of this to get the Jack Hargreaves experience - he was forever lunting around with his Falcon hanging from his mouth, and the Gallaher forerunner was his smoke.

Of course, when I first got this two or three weeks ago, I loaded it into my Jack Hargreaves tribute Falcon and put it to the test. As advertised, rich, dark and maple/melon sweetness from fresh, interesting smoke but maybe a bit distracting, wanted my attention all the time. Did Jack really bumble along with this pulling at his sleeve? Hard to imagine.

Wind forward to now, tobacco laying about in an unsealed pouch, drier but not dried out. I took a fancy for it yesterday and repeated the experience this morning - and lo, it has thrown off aromatic pretense and the rich darkness has wound down a couple of notches. Suddenly, it's a very civilized mellow Va/Bur, all flavours integrated, and I found myself pottering about absently in Jack mode, Falcon gently supplying a very satisfying and undemanding smoke.

This is really rather pleasant and could be an all-dayer. I shall get more and give it time to settle; now I understand.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I bought an ounce of this to get the Jack Hargreaves experience - he was forever lunting around with his Falcon hanging from his mouth, and the Gallaher forerunner was his smoke.

Of course, when I first got this two or three weeks ago, I loaded it into my Jack Hargreaves tribute Falcon and put it to the test. As advertised, rich, dark and maple/melon sweetness from fresh, interesting smoke but maybe a bit distracting, wanted my attention all the time. Did Jack really bumble along with this pulling at his sleeve? Hard to imagine.

Wind forward to now, tobacco laying about in an unsealed pouch, drier but not dried out. I took a fancy for it yesterday and repeated the experience this morning - and lo, it has thrown off aromatic pretense and the rich darkness has wound down a couple of notches. Suddenly, it's a very civilized mellow Va/Bur, all flavours integrated, and I found myself pottering about absently in Jack mode, Falcon gently supplying a very satisfying and undemanding smoke.

This is really rather pleasant and could be an all-dayer. I shall get more and give it time to settle; now I understand.
I also got some of this to smoke in my Jack Hargreaves tribute pipe :ROFLMAO:

I also like it fresh, but it does become a bit more laid back after sitting in a pouch. Unfortunately I think it bears very little resemblance to the Gallaher tobacco, I'm not even sure it's a close approximation. I had the opportunity to buy some of the Gallahers at auction a year or so ago, but unfortunately it went just higher than I was willing to pay.

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I also got some of this to smoke in my Jack Hargreaves tribute pipe :ROFLMAO:

I also like it fresh, but it does become a bit more laid back after sitting in a pouch. Unfortunately I think it bears very little resemblance to the Gallaher tobacco, I'm not even sure it's a close approximation. I had the opportunity to buy some of the Gallahers at auction a year or so ago, but unfortunately it went just higher than I was willing to pay.
It's a real shame that the original is long gone, but I would hope that at least some semblance remains in the current incarnation. I didn't dislike it fresh, it's just a bit "loud" like that guy at a party. With a bit of time, that guy is back home and quietly slumped on the sofa, very civilised :)

Reactions: grimpeur

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
It's a real shame that the original is long gone, but I would hope that at least some semblance remains in the current incarnation. I didn't dislike it fresh, it's just a bit "loud" like that guy at a party. With a bit of time, that guy is back home and quietly slumped on the sofa, very civilised :)
What you need brother is a different GH product: Kendal #7. It comes "pre-relaxed". For what it's worth, a seemingly knowledgeable fellow on the Tobacco Reviews site maintained that it's much closer to the Gallaher version of RDH to boot. Given that it's been over three decades since I last had the real thing, I can't say.

I can say that Kendal #7 is a full-bodied, subtly flavoured, all-day, easy-to-smoke blend just made for Falcons and puttering around. I don't know about the availability in its home country though.

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
What you need brother is a different GH product: Kendal #7. It comes "pre-relaxed". For what it's worth, a seemingly knowledgeable fellow on the Tobacco Reviews site maintained that it's much closer to the Gallaher version of RDH to boot. Given that it's been over three decades since I last had the real thing, I can't say.

I can say that Kendal #7 is a full-bodied, subtly flavoured, all-day, easy-to-smoke blend just made for Falcons and puttering around. I don't know about the availability in its home country though.
Ah, #7 was the first thing I smoked in the Falcon, but thought the Lakeland sauce way over the top - went to bed with a badly ghosted goatee! I put it in an old Navy Rolls tin, maybe it has settled down a bit. I'll revisit before long.

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Ah, #7 was the first thing I smoked in the Falcon, but thought the Lakeland sauce way over the top - went to bed with a badly ghosted goatee! I put it in an old Navy Rolls tin, maybe it has settled down a bit. I'll revisit before long.
We have to make sure we're talking about the same thing. There's #7 Broken Flake, which I also found to be a little much, and then just Kendal #7, which is a fine ribbon cut. I never would have thought to order it, but I was sent a 500g bag of it instead of the Broken Flake I'd ordered; happy accident, indeed!

Honestly, GH needs to up its blend naming game!

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK
We have to make sure we're talking about the same thing. There's #7 Broken Flake, which I also found to be a little much, and then just Kendal #7, which is a fine ribbon cut. I never would have thought to order it, but I was sent a 500g bag of it instead of the Broken Flake I'd ordered; happy accident, indeed!

Honestly, GH needs to up its blend naming game!
Heh, you're absolutely correct, the Broken Flake is what I have. Must try the other one.

Edit: ach, not a UK thing, by the looks. But now I'm seeing things like Exmoor and Mahogany... the wonder and curiosity never ends...

Last edited:

grimpeur

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Heh, you're absolutely correct, the Broken Flake is what I have. Must try the other one.

Edit: ach, not a UK thing, by the looks. But now I'm seeing things like Exmoor and Mahogany... the wonder and curiosity never ends...
Mahogany!!! Get yourself some, and thank me later. A light, mysterious topping, applied to the usual high-quality GH mid-weight tobacco, it's great stuff.

It's got a long, honoured UK history as a product of the Manchester Tobacco Company, sold through a big Co-op concern. I've had the original, and can confidently say that the GH version is a better smoke, in every way. I'm envious of your being able to acquire that and Revor plug.

And, no, the topping on Mahogany has nothing to do with the mahogany tree, as a few reviewers suggested...smh.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Mahogany!!! Get yourself some, and thank me later. A light, mysterious topping, applied to the usual high-quality GH mid-weight tobacco, it's great stuff.

It's got a long, honoured UK history as a product of the Manchester Tobacco Company, sold through a big Co-op concern. I've had the original, and can confidently say that the GH version is a better smoke, in every way. I'm envious of your being able to acquire that and Revor plug.

And, no, the topping on Mahogany has nothing to do with the mahogany tree, as a few reviewers suggested...smh.
Mahogany is a great smoke that you very rarely see mentioned.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I had a Manchester Co-op cutter top tin of something called 'N***er Shag' with an African lady on the tin which had an orange label. I never could work out how old it was but it was in pristine condition. I always assumed it was for RYO and I gave it to someone around circa 2016. Mahogany from the Co-op sounds also very familiar. Was that sold 'Up North' as we say or was it in general circulation?

BingBong

Apr 26, 2024
London UK

Well, that's 2 tins of Mahogany on order... my TAD ban for June is now completely in bits..

WerewolfOfLondon

Jun 8, 2023
London
Apparantly the geeza from Blakemar Briars smokes a 50/50 mix of GH 7 broken flake, and erinmore. Sounds a bit off to me, but he's the man in the know.

Reactions: edger

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I had a Manchester Co-op cutter top tin of something called 'N***er Shag' with an African lady on the tin which had an orange label. I never could work out how old it was but it was in pristine condition. I always assumed it was for RYO and I gave it to someone around circa 2016. Mahogany from the Co-op sounds also very familiar. Was that sold 'Up North' as we say or was it in general circulation?
It's ok they took the woman off the tin and saved the world.

• Angry
Reactions: kj27