PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
This is my next Va I'd like to get my hands on. Anyone able to give me any info on this one? Like it, dislike it? Thanks!

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
I'm a big fan of SG Golden Glow, especially when fresh. Bright CR Flake is similar but with a kiss of lakeland essence and perhaps a bit more body. It is not a complex smoke to my taste but if you like a virginia with a smooth, light, mouthfeel and the grassy haytones that brightleaf can bring, get some of this in your cart for your summer smoking.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I am a fan. I place it as my third favorite GH , behind Ennerdale and Exclusive Top Black Cherry. If you like bright VA. this is a good one. If you are not really searching for the "Essence" you won't notice it, it is extremely slight to non-existent, especially with any age. You will probably need to buy it by 500g and cart it quickly when it drops. It has been disappearing fast.

Oct 7, 2016
It tends to show up in every drop and stay available longer than, say, Ennerdale and Bob’s Chocolate, but not much longer. Help is in sight, I feel sure, before the summer ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: rushx9
Oct 7, 2016
You will probably need to buy it by 500g and cart it quickly when it drops. It has been disappearing fast.
SP and Boswell’s sell by the ounce. Ernie at Watch City sometimes breaks the 500 g boxes down into 8 ounce portions. Mars used to sell by the ounce, and might again if the allocations get larger.

Broken Scotch Cake is a very nice light Virginia, available in bulk and in tins. Some struggle to find any hint of Lakeland in it, but I enjoy it since I don’t bother hunting for what isn’t there.
The new tin design is worth having. In stock lots of places including

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
SP and Boswell’s sell by the ounce. Ernie at Watch City sometimes breaks the 500 g boxes down into 8 ounce portions. Mars used to sell by the ounce, and might again if the allocations get larger.

Broken Scotch Cake is a very nice light Virginia, available in bulk and in tins. Some struggle to find any hint of Lakeland in it, but I enjoy it since I don’t bother hunting for what isn’t there.
The new tin design is worth having. In stock lots of places including

I like Broken Scotch Cake, as well. Yeah, several places were selling by the ounce but, this last go round it was mostly full boxes except for Boswell. Even P&C was selling only boxes. SP has/had some of the blends that, did not immediately disappear, by the ounce. Bright CR probably will not be in the category of leftovers.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I've found I really enjoy Scotch Flake, even better than BSC, because it is a bit deeper and darker due to more time in the press.
I can't find a trace of Lakeland floral in either, but I do get a fair amount of coco or chocolate liqueur. Not the floral chocolate used on Bob's Flake, but but more like Louisiana or Stonehenge. It seems a bit more pronounced on Scotch Flake than BSC.
Does CR have a bit of chocolate topping? Is it perhaps the same base blend as Scotch Flake without the topping?
As far as I can tell, you're the foremost forum authority on all things Gawith. Any idea what CR stands for?

Reactions: gervais
Oct 7, 2016
I've found I really enjoy Scotch Flake, even better than BSC, because it is a bit deeper and darker due to more time in the press.
I can't find a trace of Lakeland floral in either, but I do get a fair amount of coco or chocolate liqueur. Not the floral chocolate used on Bob's Flake, but but more like Louisiana or Stonehenge. It seems a bit more pronounced on Scotch Flake than BSC.
Does CR have a bit of chocolate topping? Is it perhaps the same base blend as Scotch Flake without the topping?
As far as I can tell, you're the foremost forum authority on all things Gawith. Any idea what CR stands for?
No, never asked, never heard, or if I’ve heard, I forgot. I will keep that question in the back of my mind.

My expertise, if any, doesn’t extend to recipes. I have never been in the factory and haven’t asked any specific questions about recipes of those who are in it every day. I tried to weasel this kind of info out of Mary McNiel and was, on every occasion, met with that sweet, enigmatic smile of hers. Mike wouldn’t have been as kind.?

I think there is a strong family resemblance between Bob’s Chocolate Flake, Louisiana Flake, and Scotch Flake. I like all three and have lots of each cellared. Scotch Cake is an entirely different deal. I like it, too, but I think I have less than 2 lbs on hand.

But I loved the new BSC tin, Anderson Hunting Plaid with that cute little black Scottie, and ordered one just to have. I might never open it.

pip01

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 3, 2018
NJ
I love Glengarry Flake with is supposed to be CR with a touch of honeydew. Both the the lakeland essence and the honeydew is not heavy applied at all.You hardly detect it.

Last time I tried to get my hands on CR it was in my cart at SP and when I went to checkout they were sold out!

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I am a fan. I place it as my third favorite GH , behind Ennerdale and Exclusive Top Black Cherry. If you like bright VA. this is a good one. If you are not really searching for the "Essence" you won't notice it, it is extremely slight to non-existent, especially with any age. You will probably need to buy it by 500g and cart it quickly when it drops. It has been disappearing fast.
do you have any experience with sutliff 507c Virginia slices? It is also a straight bright Va flake. I wonder if they are alot alike

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Seems like a GH I'd really dig, but everytime I go to make an order, it's out of stock. Not quite high enough on the list to make a special order for, either.
Wonder what CR stands for...
I remember reading somewhere quite a while ago that CR was an abbreviation for Carolina- one of the "types" of virginia grown here stateside. However, I don't recall what the source was on the information, so take it with an appropriate pinch of salt.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
One of the best flakes out there. My batch was not overly heavy on lakeland essence (which I enjoy the flavour and aroma of) but it is noticeable. A real nice addition to some blends, and in this case, they knock it out of the park.

But, if you don't enjoy it, due to the usual scarcity of it, I'm sure you would find some takers if you wished to sell when it is not readily available.

Just doubt you would want to sell it, when you have it.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
Saw this thread and it reminded me that I had a few oz jarred up for a while. Popped open the jar to this delightful suprise
20211009_083043.jpg
I'm a huge fan of G&H flakes and have a whole bunch of them...but none with plume like this. The smell in the jar is divine.

• Wow
Reactions: That Guy